Trying to find uncle

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Squigy
Master
Master

Trying to find uncle

Post by Squigy »

I was wondering if anyone could help me find an uncle (Raffaele Maietta) who never came to the US and would have died in Italy in the last 20-35/40 years.

I would like to know when he died, and who his children (if any) were.

I've never looked for relatives who lived in Italy so recently, so any advice on where to get started is much appreciated.

Thanks!!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Trying to find uncle

Post by Bette »

Do you know what town Raffaele Maietta lived in? If so, I would recommend looking in the Italian White pages telephone directory on-line to find a relative. Then you would need to write a letter in Italian (you can find examples on-line) and mail it out. If you have found the right family, you will most likely, get a response. Using your email address in the header, along with your mailing address is a good idea. Since you may get an email response. Here is the web address for the Italian White Pages telephone directory.

http://www.paginebianche.it
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Yhe population record office (Anagrafe) where he used to live just before he died, knows when and where he died.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy wrote:I was wondering if anyone could help me find an uncle (Raffaele Maietta) who never came to the US and would have died in Italy in the last 20-35/40 years.

I would like to know when he died, and who his children (if any) were.

I've never looked for relatives who lived in Italy so recently, so any advice on where to get started is much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Riccardo,

What about the privacy laws? I am curious to know if the privacy laws come into play, since we are talking about a death that took place within the last 20 - 40 years.

Bette
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

No privacy law, if there is privacy law on certificates, then no one can have cartification from vital statistics anymore?
Just try to understand where he was resident before he died, and after that write a letter to Anagrafe and ask for a "certificato anagrafico di morte" or a "estratto dell'atto di morte", so you know when he died.
Usually the burial is in the municipal cemetery where your uncle was resident at time of his death.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Hi, guys. Thanks for the replies!

Riccardo,

I'll try contacting the anagrafe. My understanding is they're very busy, do you think it's possible they just won't reply? Also, if they do, how long does it usually take?

Bette,

I've heard of people doing that. I think I might try it. Who knows, maybe I'll find out some of Raffaele's kids are still living over there! That would be exciting!

Anyway, thank you both for the advice.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Well, it depends from Anagrafe to Anagrafe.
The law says that it should reply within one month, but sometimes it does faster or sometimes, it takes forever.
It is suggestable to make a phone call in advance to understand if there are tips to follow in order what the best way is to send the request, and if it needs other attachments. I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy wrote:Hi, guys. Thanks for the replies!

Riccardo,

I'll try contacting the anagrafe. My understanding is they're very busy, do you think it's possible they just won't reply? Also, if they do, how long does it usually take?

Bette,

I've heard of people doing that. I think I might try it. Who knows, maybe I'll find out some of Raffaele's kids are still living over there! That would be exciting!

Anyway, thank you both for the advice.