amending to birth date or registered birth date?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

amending to birth date or registered birth date?

Post by rgaetano »

ciao,

I need to amend my GGF's death certificate, but I am not sure which date to amend it to.

His actual date of birth (Certificato di Nascita) is August 21, but his registered date of birth (estratto del registro degli Atti Di Nascita) says August 23. All his naturalization records show August 23, but his death certificate states DOB as August 28.

Since I cannot change naturalization records, it seems like I should change the death certificate to August 23, which would leave only one discrepancy between actual birth and all other documents, but I wanted to see if anybody has experience with this. Would they rather see more consistency among the documents, or more documents reflect the real date of birth?

Grazie
mler
Master
Master

Re: amending to birth date or registered birth date?

Post by mler »

Do you have both the Certificato di Nascita and the estratto? If so, I would go with the 23rd. The registration of birth was often several days later than the actual birth, and if you have the documents to show this, using the date that is consistent with that reported on the naturalization documents may be easier.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

amend the death certificate. If its a NYC one then you have the right to as his grandson. I would actually be relieved . I had way more discrepancies than that!! if you have the birth extract and the certificate I dont think the consulate would give you problems
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In many cases, death certificates cannot be amended, but if you can do so, certainly use the 23rd.

I am not certain I would bother, however. My experience and others which I have seen reported is that consulates seem to permit the most leeway on death certificates; indeed, the only known purpose of death certificates in this process is to show that the person is deceased and thus cannot provide a "Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant" (From 3 at the bottom of http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exe ... =Published ). If the ancestor would be significantly more than 100 years old at this time, you may even be able to avoid providing the death certificate at all.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

thanks all,

mler+screamingmonkey,
yes, thankfully I have both the Certificato di Nascita and the estratto del registro degli Atti Di Nascita. This should be helpful to me with any troubles I have should the consulate bring up any doubts. Unfortunately, the death certificate is a NYS, not NYC document, so a bit harder to fix....

Carmine, yes this is for my GGF, born in the 1880s, so clearly not alive. I already have the death certificate, but I think I will try to amend the death certificate anyways, just to try to make everything as good as possible. But if I run into trouble, I won't worry too much about it. Thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

rgaetano wrote:... but I think I will try to amend the death certificate anyways, just to try to make everything as good as possible.
I am a strong believer in fixing everything that can possibly be fixed, if for no other reason than the fact that (hopefully) 30, 40, 50 years in the future my descendants will find themselves interested in their heritage and, thanks to my efforts, will have many fewer errors and discrepancies to deal with.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

If it's nys its not a big deal. It's just that people find the upstate workers a little less helpful. The rules and laws are the same though
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

sceaminmonkey wrote:If it's nys its not a big deal. It's just that people find the upstate workers a little less helpful. The rules and laws are the same though
NYS vs NYC - they actually do operate under different guidelines and procedures, which makes it so frustrating for people having to deal with 2 different vital records agencies within New York State. :twisted: The rules for amending NYS documents appear to be much more restrictive than NYC (which may cause one to think that it might be the upstate workers that are less than helpful. :wink: ).
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I had to go through upstate and NYC I got the same info from both. aslong as I am a descendant of the deceased I can amend it. I did find upstae required more documentation and NYC could not seem to care less. All NYC wanted was a birth certificate where as upstate wanted proof showing the change in dates
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

What kind of proof? Will the Italian birth certificate with translation suffice?
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I had to show a census a marriage record an affidavit from the daughter which I had to do with her at a public notary ( she is 84). for nyc all I had to show was her birth certificate to amend the death. to be honest they didnt even really make sure I was her Great grandson.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Ha, funny that NYC is so lax. So since this is my GGF, the closest living descendant is my father (the grandson). Will An affidavit from my father work in addition to the other documents?
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Screamin, did you correct a birth or marriage record for a deceased individual with NYS?
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

rgaetano, if your death record amendment is with NYS, I believe that a birth record should suffice as evidence.