name change- Scipione to Fabio

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

name change- Scipione to Fabio

Post by oilman19 »

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9104/a ... irth18.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/994/ ... eath18.jpg

I have the birth act and death act of Pasquale Aulicino. Is it likely his father's name changed in 14 months? His father was Scipione when Pasquale was born and now it is Fabio? :?

All other documents I have found have Scipione as his name. Should I just accept this as an error on the death act or am I missing something important? Has anyone seen this in their research?

Opinions please.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: name change- Scipione to Fabio

Post by liviomoreno »

Maybe Scipione was known as Fabio by his friends, so when Luigi Baldassarre and Giovanni Sepolvera went to the town hall to announce Pasquale's death they just referred that he was the son of Fabio and did not use the official name, Scipione.

Another option is that there are 2 Pasquale and this is a case of homonymy.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I would have to think your 1st theory is the most likely. Were nicknames common in those days? I'm afraid I have not seen any evidence of such in my research. However, I have seen first or middle names dropped in lieu of using only the other.

Since Scipione is listed on previous documents as a "ward of the state" or parentless, I didn't think he would likely have 2 given names.

This quite puzzling, don't you think?

Thank you for your help.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Unfortunately every guess could be right or wrong....