Mascheroni - GGrandparents Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Mascheroni - GGrandparents Research

Post by MascheroniBR »

Hello Everyone!

My name is Mauricio Mascheroni, I live in Petrópolis, Brazil.
Recently, I started a research on my Genealogy and came across this forum, since my Ancertors come from Italy (Comuna di Cairate, Varesi).
First of all, i'm totally newbie on the subject "research"... all the info I have is from documents my parents and family keep for decades.

My Grandfather, Mascheroni Carlo Rinaldo (There is some confusion regarding his name, as some documents refer to him as Carlo Rinaldo Mascheroni). He was born in Cairate on January 06th 1901, however, his Ato di Nascita was issue incorrectly according to my father, it was issued as if he was born January 08th instead.
Heres a copy one of my relatives requested by letter in 1988.
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/digitalizar0004sly.jpg/
He died in Brazil on February 19th 1963.

His parents were:
Mascheroni Gaetano
Angelli Lavelli Mascheroni
(Some records say Angele / Angel)

Grandpa had 2 Sisters and 1 brother, though I dont have any info on their exact bitrth or death dates:
Marcellina Mascheroni - She came to Brazil right after my Grandpa. Her husband,Mario Masnagui used to work with my Grandpa here in Brazil. They headed back to Italy some years after Grandpa's death.

Savinna Mascheroni - I'm aware that she is the oldest sister and never came to Brazil. Not sure about spelling, it might be wrong.

Giuseppe Mascheroni - The youngest brother. Came to Brazil once and died very young - cause unknown

Grandpa left Cairate in 1924 and arrived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Oct /27th/1924 according to a Document I have, a kind of Brazilian Immigrants Record. However, I cannot describe the name of the ship, as the handwritting is confusing to me, something like Pineio?
I cant find any records on Ellis Records, maybe beacause of the date?
http://img577.imageshack.us/i/digitalizar0006k.jpg/

I'm looking for any information on my G Grandparents Gaetano and Angelli Mascheroni, can you guide me? I would be most gratefull!
PS: I dont have Ancestry.com account yet!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Mascheroni - GGrandparents Research

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Mauricio! Welcome :-D

Grandpa left Cairate in 1924 and arrived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Oct /27th/1924 according to a Document I have, a kind of Brazilian Immigrants Record. However, I cannot describe the name of the ship, as the handwritting is confusing to me, something like Pineio?
img577.imageshack.us/i...0006k.jpg/
The only records at Ellis Island are for ships that came into the port of New York. Did your GF go to NY?

I looked at the image you posted above and I agree that the vessel name looks like Pineio - or - Pincio...

The date of birth on the immigration document for Carlo is listed as 8 January 1901 - same as the birth record you have posted...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

To find more information about Carlo's parents and siblings... you can write directly to the comune of Cairate, Varese.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Libertà, 7
21050 Cairate (VA)
ITALY

You should write your request for birth, marriage and death records in Italian...
Help with letters -
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Tessa78 wrote:Hello Mauricio! Welcome :-D

The only records at Ellis Island are for ships that came into the port of New York. Did your GF go to NY?

I looked at the image you posted above and I agree that the vessel name looks like Pineio - or - Pincio...

The date of birth on the immigration document for Carlo is listed as 8 January 1901 - same as the birth record you have posted...

T.
Hi Tessa! Thanks a lot for your help!
I read it somewhere that every Italian immigrant that came to America would first go to NY. But now I'm wondering if they refer to "America" as only North America or the whole continent.... Maybe the ship headed straight to South America, i'm not sure!

About Carlo birth, every record I have shows Jan 08th. But my Father and Aunts say that they used to celebrate Jan 06th. Anyway, Jan 08th is the official date!

About the letter, should I ask for Gaetano and Angelli records straight? Do they usually send these documents via air mail?
Thanks again.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Mauricio,
About the letter, should I ask for Gaetano and Angelli records straight? Do they usually send these documents via air mail?
Thanks again.
Yes, I would write for Gaetano and Angelli Lavelli marriage record and birth records. Give as much information about dates and other family members as you can provide.

There is usually no charge for these records, but sometimes a comune will request some payment. Do not send any money until you are requested to do so...
You can send a self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope as a courtesy.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I read it somewhere that every Italian immigrant that came to America would first go to NY. But now I'm wondering if they refer to "America" as only North America or the whole continent.... Maybe the ship headed straight to South America, i'm not sure!
Italian immigrants came to North America through many ports...
New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Boston, etc.

There were also ships that went to other countries/continents from Italy.

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

I`ll try to write a letter based of the tips you provided me, thanks a lot.

Unfortunately I dont have information on Mascheroni Gaetano or Angelli Lavelle birth / marriage / death dates.
Do you think it is possible to trace this info on Ancestry.com, prior sending the letter?

An e-mail contact is out of question right?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may try to send an e-mail, using the same template suggested by Tessa.

Te address is ufficio.segreteria @ comune.cairate.va.it (no spaces)
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Tessa78 wrote:Hello Mauricio! Welcome :-D

T.
Regarding the Ship, look what I found about a Vessel called Pinzio.

Pinzio: Launched in 1912, by National Greek Line as the Macedonia. Built by Sir James Laing & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, England. Tonnage: 6,333. Dimensions: 422 feet by 51 feet. Twin-screw, 17 knots. Quadruple expansion engines. Two masts and two funnels. Maiden voyage: Greece-New York, April 5, 1912. Sunk as an armed Greek merchant cruiser in Syra harbor during war against Turkey. In 1916, it was refloated and sold to Dutch owners. Repaired at Wilton's yard in Rotterdam. Retained the name of Macedonia when put back in service under the Dutch flag. Sold to Lloyd Latino in October 1921, and renamed Pinzio. Broken up by Italian shipbreakers in 1932.
My father, Battista D'Elia, and his brother-in-law, Antonio Trotta sailed on the Pinzio from Naples to Rio de Janeiro, departing Naples October 25, 1923, and arriving Rio on November 17. The Pinzio made stops at St. Vincenzo, and Dad said that he had disembarked at Dagara in Africa. While in Dagara, Dad told me that he ate bananas, saw black people, and bear-breasted woman all for the first time.

http://www.deliafamilytree.com/trans%20 ... mships.htm

I'm 99% sure this was the ship my GF used to come to Brazil. I'll request for the passenger list from National Records Institution.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great find, Mauricio :-D

Pinzio sounds like the ship! Hope you get the passenger list!

As for writing to the comune, even giving approx. (within 5 years) dates of birth for Gaetano and Angelli can help...

AND Thank you Livio for providing the email :-D

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

For future reference...

Good site for what passenger lists are online...

http://www.germanroots.com/onlinelists.html

And this...

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/ships.html

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Tessa78 wrote:Great find, Mauricio :-D

Pinzio sounds like the ship! Hope you get the passenger list!

As for writing to the comune, even giving approx. (within 5 years) dates of birth for Gaetano and Angelli can help...

AND Thank you Livio for providing the email :-D

T.
I managed to get a prompt reply from the National Records Institution. They will perform a research on my request and if the document is found, they will charge a fee... dont know how much though! But that will be a great find.. my father will be happy! :P

Livio, thanks a lot for the e-mail!
I would like to ask you both to review the letter I'm preparing, as I do not speak italian... would mind taking a look for me? I'm using online translators to help, but i'm sure the translation has some minor grammar issues. Ill post here soon.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Here`s the letter (or e-mail) that I intend to write to Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Cairati

Egregi Signori,
Mi chiamo Mauricio Mascheroni, ed abito nel Brasile all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Mascheroni Gaetano e la mia bisnonna, Angelli Lavelli Mascheroni. Residentes nel comune di Cairati. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Gaetano e Angelli avevano quattro figli a Cairati: Savinna Mascheroni, Marcellina Mascheroni, Mascheroni Carlo Rinaldo e Mascheroni Giuseppe.

Carlo era mio nonno, nato a Cairati 8 Gennaio 1901. Nave arrivò in Brasile il 27 ottobre 1924. Qui si è sposato con Elisa Torres e avuto 7 figli.
Marcellina sposato Mario Masnagui a Cairati e venuto in Brasile intorno al 1950, dove ha vissuto per quasi 20 anni, prima di ritornare a Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di matrimonio di Mascheroni Gaetano e Angelli Lavelli Mascheroni anche loro attos di nascitta, in carta libera se possibile. Gaetano sposato Angelli circa 1880 ~ 1890 Io credo.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati. Inoltre, se i documenti non ci sono per quel periodo, o se Lei conosce altre fonti, Le sarei grato se potesse suggerirmi come proseguire la mia ricerca

Distinti saluti,

Is this fine in your opinon?
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

I managed to get my GFather's Vessel Passenger List from the national records institution!!! A great find, and it cost me only the posting expenses!

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/pincio0001.jpg/
Line 13

Unfortunately, haven't received any reply from Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Cairati, regarding my GGPArents marriage/birth certs. I sent two e-mails this past month, and even though they sent me a Read Receipt, no actual reply was provided.

I'll try sending a letter instead! I wont give up!
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

After almost two months, I finally got a reply from Uffici Demografici di Cairate! :)
Can you gentleman help me on how to proceed with my research based on the reply below?
I tried to translate via Google, but I couldn't understand 100% why they cant issue my GG parents birth certificates.
I'm also aware that I have to contact Town's Church, how should be my approach?

Reply:

Con riferimento alla Vs. richiesta, si comunica che a seguito di ricerche
nei registri di matrimonio in possesso del Comune di Cairate negli anni dal
1880 al 1890, non risulta alcun atto di matrimonio relativo alle persone
indicate.
Inoltre gli atti di stato civile decorrono dal 1866, pertanto non possiamo
rilasciare i certificati di nascita dei signori Lavelli Angela e Mascheroni
Gaetano nati in anni precedenti.
Si consiglia pertanto di rivolgersi alla parrocchia al seguente indirizzo:
- PARROCCHIA DI CAIRATE
Via Corridoni, 15 – 21050 CAIRATE (VARESE)
Tel. 0331/360175
e-mail: parrocai@emasite.net

Le invio in allegato, gli estratti degli atti di nascita dei figli di
Gaetano e di Angela.

Si porgono cordiali saluti.
L'ufficiale dello Stato Civile - Paola Terzoni

They mentioned attachments to the massage but unfortunately none came!!! :(