Translation for Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Translation for Death Record

Post by carla370 »

I finally found a Death Record for my great grandfather. A full translation would be appreciated which might include date (I think it's 22 April?) location. witnesses, etc. His son is Francesco married to Luisa Greco are also mentioned.

Many thanks
Carla
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translation for Death Record

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carla,

Your image file was probably too large for this forum, so it did not come through with your post.

Please try a site like http://postimage.org. After uploading the image, select the "Thumbnail for Forums(1)" link and paste it into a message here.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I am not 100% certain this is the correct death record.

The death was recorded April 22, 1906 but occurred at 10 PM "yesterday" ("di ieri"). From what I can make out, Domenico was aged 48 ("di quarantotto") and was the son of Francesco (surname assumed to be De Cicco) and of Luisa Greco.

This information does not agree at all with what I thought was the birth record of 1819 parents Antonio and Fortunata Mancuso ( http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 20897.html ).

The other options for this Domenico's age at death are: diciotto (18), ventotto (28), trentotto (38), cinquantotto (58), sessantotto (68), settantotto (78), ottantotto (88), novantotto (98).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Actually, I think it says "di giorni otto" meaning this Domenico was 8 days old at the time of death.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Actually, I think it says "di giorni otto" meaning this Domenico was 8 days old at the time of death.
Yes, Domenico was 8 days old...

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Blah, blah, blah, at 10 PM yesterday in the house on via Copel.... is dead De Cicco Domenico aged eight days, residente in this comune, born in this comune, of Francesco and of Greco Luisa (these are the parent's names).

Higher up, the death was reported by De Cicco Maria, aged 50 (cinquanta) and by ... Raffaella aged 40 both of whom are residents of the comune.

At the bottom are the names of the witnesses to the recording; typically comune employees or anyone else they can round up to act as witnesses.
Carmine

carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

how sad, my great uncle :-( we are such a little family.

Thank you for the translation