Eligible for Dual Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dangeruss13

Eligible for Dual Citizenship

Post by dangeruss13 »

My great-grandfather was born in Pellaro, Reggio Calabria in 1883. He later became a US citizen after the fact that my grandfather was born, he was about 10 years old when my ggf became a citizen. Is there any possibility that I would be able to achieve Italian citizenship?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Eligible for Dual Citizenship

Post by mler »

Unless you have another possible citizenship line, the only way to become a citizen would be to move to Italy and somehow establish residency there; I believe it is a ten-year wait before you would qualify for naturalization.

With the information you provide, you would not be eligible for the three-year expedited path because your grandfather was not an Italian citizen. Unfortunately, living in Italy without citizenship is difficult because the employment situation is poor even for citizens.

Is there another line through which you might qualify?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

One of us has mis-read the original post...

My interpretation is that grandfather was 10 years old when great-grandfather became a US citizen. If grandfather was born in the US and great-grandfather naturalized after June 30, 1912, then original poster should be good to go.

If grandfather was also born in Italy, then he lost his Italian citizenship when GGF naturalized.

If grandfather was born in US but GGF naturalized prior to July 1, 1912 - then some US consulates will insist that grandfather lost his right to Italian citizenship at that time.

dangeruss13, please tell us more about your situation.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You are absolutely right, Carmine. I totally misread the post and thought the ggf naturalized when the gf was 10 years old. Makes a big difference. :)

Thanks for the correction.
wawakcj

Post by wawakcj »

My situation is Me, Father, GM, GGF, GGGF. Father born in 1951(so after 1948). GGGF born in Italy in 1872. GGF born in 1904 in U.S.. GGGF naturalized in 1905(so Italian citizen when GGF born). I have all the requirements met except my Italian GGGF was naturalized in 1905. Do you know any certain consulates that will accept this or how strict they are about this 1912 rule? I am from Chicago. Thanks.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

wawakcj wrote:My situation is Me, Father, GM, GGF, GGGF. Father born in 1951(so after 1948). GGGF born in Italy in 1872. GGF born in 1904 in U.S.. GGGF naturalized in 1905(so Italian citizen when GGF born). I have all the requirements met except my Italian GGGF was naturalized in 1905. Do you know any certain consulates that will accept this or how strict they are about this 1912 rule? I am from Chicago. Thanks.
I don't know for certain regarding Chicago. San Francisco absolutely enforces the so-called "1912 rule" - it says as much on their web site. New York City is known to enforce it as well - there is a post here from someone who had their NYC application denied on that basis.

I have read that Philadelphia seems blissfully unaware of this rule.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I think Chicago is one of the consulates that enforces the rule. :( Detroit may not. Any possibility?
wawakcj

Post by wawakcj »

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping the naturalization comes back as "no record". I read you have to reside in a certain area to go to each consulate. I was thinking of taking a vacation in Philly and stopping at that one. Thanks again and I will post what happen when all the docs arrive in several months.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

How do you know that GGGF naturalized in 1905?

USCIS will for sure come back no record found, because USCIS only has records going bact to September 27, 1906 ( http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD ). For prior records, you need to search the state and county court archives for each place in which GGGF was known to have resided during his lifetime.
Carmine

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

I think I am in the same boat so I hope I am good to go.

My GGF was born in Italy and arrived in 1907. My GF was born in NY in 1914, and his father did not naturalize until 1919.

So by what I am reading above, I should be ok?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

montclaire wrote:I think I am in the same boat so I hope I am good to go.

My GGF was born in Italy and arrived in 1907. My GF was born in NY in 1914, and his father did not naturalize until 1919.

So by what I am reading above, I should be ok?
Yep. You are good to go. :)
Carmine

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

What is the story with military service? I am currently 31, so I am not exempted. Is this only an issue if I move to Italy?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's not an issue wherever you live. Like the US, Italy no longer has a military draft.
apple0202

Post by apple0202 »

I am about to make a appointment at the consulate in Maimi does anybody have experance there with there application for citezenship? also does anybody know sombody/company that review my documents/ application before I go to the consulate? one concern is the naturaziltion I have the petition for naturalization from the archive but not the certificate, also grandfathers birth cert from Italy has a I at the end of his name but some documents from the states have a O as is my last name should have been a I but was changed is this a problem?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Check the consulate FAQ's section at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org The answer may well be there. Often the oath is on the back of the petition. Do you have the oath?