Translation for Italian Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Translation for Italian Birth Certificate

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi,
I am amazed, someone here actually got me my ggf's birth certificate for me from Italy after I wrote and got no response. I cannot believe the kindness and thoughtfulness, I am so touched. Words cannot express my sincere thanks.

I have tried to get it into a translator but cannot, I can't make out any names at all. Can anyone help? I am trying to find his parent's names especially.

Marty, you went above and beyond you are a great person.

I hope the attachment works!
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Translation for Italian Birth Certificate

Post by liviomoreno »

1886 January 18, at 6pm, a baby male of few hours of life was found in the fundling wheel of "Congrega delle Carità" of Atrani. To the baby was given the name Catello and the surname Punzo.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

OMG, he was abandoned? I can't believe this. What is a fundling wheel and is that a Church? Do you know why they gave him the last name Punzo? I am so sad for him, my heart is breaking.

That is why he gave the people who took him in as his parent's names in the US I am now guessing. Is there any way to find out where he lived until he came to the US?
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

I looked it up: Baby hatches have existed in one form or another for centuries. The system was quite common in mediaeval times. From 1198 the first foundling wheels (ruota dei trovatelli) were used in Italy; Pope Innocent III decreed that these should be installed in homes for foundlings so that women could leave their child in secret instead of killing them, as this practice was clearly evident in the River Tiber. A foundling wheel was a cylinder set upright in the outside wall of the building, rather like a revolving door. Mothers placed the child in the cylinder, turned it around so that the baby was inside the church, and then rang a bell to alert caretakers. One example which can still be seen today is in the Santo Spirito hospital at the Vatican City; this wheel was installed in mediaeval times and used until the 19th century.

Wow, I cannot believe this, could Punzo have been the name of a nun or priest at the Church?