Excited - heard from Accettura Italy!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Excited - heard from Accettura Italy!

Post by bkworm10 »

I took the advice of some people who responded to my questions a couple of weeks ago and wrote to the town of Accettura, Italy to get my g-grandfather's birth certificate. I heard back today and it hasn't even been two weeks! In fact, I didn't even get the LDS microfilm that I sent away for yet!

In any event, they found his record and his birth name is Giuseppe Donato LARAIA! He was born July 17, 1873, even though he wrote down on the WW I draft that he was born July 13, 1873. I do have his signature on his marriage license in 1897 and it sure looks like he signs it Laraio. What are the chances that they read the name wrong over in Italy (they sent me a transcription, not the copy of the record). Or, is there a better chance that he changed the spelling of his name from Laraia to Laraio? His brother Rocco came over in 1902 and his spelling is Laraio as well. If he changed it, why would he change it?

It says his parents names are Francesco Laraia and Maria Filippo - so a new Italian surname to research. That makes sense and agrees with the names that Rocco and Giuseppe gave their firstborn male and female children (Frank and Mary).

So now that I have his parents name and a new surname, how can I find information on Francesco and Maria in Accettura? All I have are names!

Also, I did a search of the white pages in Accettura and there are 3 or 4 Laraia's still living there. Should I write to them? There are also Filippo's and Sarricchio's (my g-grandmother) living there as well.

Also, I know that Teresa Sarricchio (Giuseppe's wife) was born sometime between 1882-1884. Can I write to them with that information and see what they find? Or is that too general.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am so excited to get a response! Finally I making headway on the mysterious Italian side of my family!

Thanks again for all your help! Annette
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Excited - heard from Accettura Italy!

Post by maestra36 »

Annette
That is so great that you got a response. Definitely write letters to the people in the phone book and back to the town for the date of birth for Teresa. Usually towns are responsive if you give them a range of five years. If you give them a range of 20, you will probably not get a response.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Peg
jim1000

Post by jim1000 »

I am very new to this and am trying to track my relatives in Accettura when I saw this posting from Annette. Can you please tell me how to contact the town officials in Accetura? I am traveling there in August to try to meet any relatives I can find.

I know the birth dates of my great grandfather and great grandmother who emigrated to the U.S., and the names of my great-great-grandparents but not the dates of their births.

Any and all information from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Jim
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Hi Jim and welcome. I will find the post that describes how to do this. While I had good luck with writing to Accettura directly, I had better luck ordering microfilm from FHC and looking through the microfilm. In just 6 months time, I went from 2 surnames (Laraia and Sarricchio) in Philadelphia to 15 surnames and back to the 1700's in Accettura. This group has been very instrumental in helping me find my Italian ancestors.

Just curious - what are your surnames? Like I said I have 15 of them now, all from Accettura and since Accettura is a very small town, I wonder if some are the same as mine. Plus, I have indexes on my computer of some of the births from certain years and I have indexed marriage records from 1867-1870.

Annette
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Jim and welcome! :-)

Write directly to this address: (In this format)

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Roma
75011 Accettura (MT)
ITALY

Write your requests in Italian
and include as much information and approx. dates of birth or marriage that you can give.

Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

:-) deleted
duplicate..
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Here is the post from Peg:

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Accettura
Via Roma
75011 Accettura (MT)
Italia

Send a self-addressed but not stamped envelope. Most towns do not charge for the record, so don't send any money with your request.

To help you write in Italian:

www.circolocalabrese.o.../index.asp

www.angelfire.com/ok3/...tters.html

I have sent email as well and I get a quicker response - about 5 days, via postal mail. But someone recently got an email response. Here is the email address:

sindaco @ comune.accettura.mt.it

Annette
franinspain

Post by franinspain »

hello all,
my name is francesco sarricchio, i am looking for family ties, my farther was guiseppe,i have an uncle who live in nottingham called antonio and an auntie who lives in germany terressa, we live in scunthorpeand my father worked on the steel works and married an english lady called christine smith
would be great to see if i am involved with the family that you are talking about
thanks
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Hi Francesco - do you know your grandparents names? A.
franinspain

Post by franinspain »

bkworm10 wrote:Hi Francesco - do you know your grandparents names? A.
no i dont,,,i know very little
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Francesco,

If you write to Accettura (or email - email included below) with your father's date of birth, they should get back to you with his birth record and that will list his parents names. Here is the information on how to do that:

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Accettura
Via Roma
75011 Accettura (MT)
Italia

Send a self-addressed but not stamped envelope. Most towns do not charge for the record, so don't send any money with your request.

To help you write in Italian:

www.circolocalabrese.o.../index.asp

www.angelfire.com/ok3/...tters.html

I have sent email as well and I get a quicker response - about 5 days, via postal mail. But someone recently got an email response. Here is the email address:

sindaco @ comune.accettura.mt.it

Annette
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Does anyone know if you can send an e-mail to Frazzano, in Messina Province, Sicily for genealogical info also? I read yesterday that the town only has around 1000 people there, at least today. I'm searching for Castrovincis from there.
Piliero

Post by Piliero »

So encouraged to hear how much success folks are having at researching family in Accettura.
I'm brand new to this, but pretty desperate. I'm trying to find my mother's family who may have originated in Accettura. Mom's not well, and so I'm in a HUGE rush.

Can anyone help me?
I am trying to find the family of Vincenzo Piliero who married Marie Belmonte (or Marie Antonia Belmonte) in about 1885 and emigrated to the US.
The best fact I have is that the Piliero family has a gigantic engraving of "San Guiliano Martire" on the tombstone with the Piliero's in New York. Every avenue with US documents fail to give me a town, city, area in Italy. Family relatives only knew 'Napolitano', which together with the statue has taken me here to Accettura. I'm hoping for a miracle in a hurry.

-Piliero descendant
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi :)

I was wondering if this 1890 arrival manifest could be correct for your ancestors:

from Ancestry.com

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Vincenzo Piliero
Arrival Date: 17 Nov 1890
Birth Year: abt 1864
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Neustria
Search Ship Database: Search the Neustria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Image here:
http://postimage.org/image/4hbp8dd8r/

Vincenzo was 26 years old, travelling with his wife? Mariantonia age 19 and son Ferdinando age 8 (possibly 8 months)

are these persons your ancestors?

Laura
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Hi! I found their marriage record and guess what - you are related to me! I have Piliero's and Belmonte's in my ancestry too, but my great-grandmother was a Sarricchio and that is Vincenzo's mother's name! Here are the details of their marriage:

Vincenzo Piliero b. 1862 was the son of Carmine Piliero and Ferdinanda Sarricchio.

Antonia Belmonte b. 1863 was the daughter of Gennario and Maria G. Paseinno.

They were married on 22 Jul 1886 in Accettura.

I will try and find their birth records later today. Ferdinanda Sarricchio was my g-g-g-grandfather's sister. PM me your email address and I can send you the documents I have for your family. I am heading to the FHC today and will try and copy their marriage records for you. Annette