Looking for information on Branca family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DBranca

Looking for information on Branca family

Post by DBranca »

I'm new to this so....

I'm looking for any information on my grandfather, Agostino Branca and his Italian family. He is possibly from San Pietro, or Cosenza in Calabria. He had a brother John, lived in NY. Both emigrated here in the late 1800's. My grandfather lived most of his life in Harrisburg, Pa. For awhile he ran a hotel (the Blue Sulfur Hotel) in Virginia or West Virginia. He also worked for the railroad here(USA), and later he made shoes. He had a small shoe business located across from the PA State house for many years. He married Anna Intreieri. He had three sons; Emilio(sp?) or Milly, Adolf, and Augustine R. (Jr.—my father).

Thanks for any information.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information on Branca family

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Found this manifest for Agostino. Is this your grandfather?

5 May 1898, SS Fulda, arriving NY
Agosotino Branca, 21, shoemaker, from S. Pietro in Guarano (Cosenza)
going to NY to cousin G. Scarperelli or Scarferelli.

Also a WWII Dreft Registration Card

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7499 ... iicard.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Also in 1930 Census living in Pennsylvania with Father in Law - Emilio Intieri.

Agostino 52, shoemaker, owns his own shop
Anna, 39, his wife
Son Joseph 22, born in Virginia
Son Emilio 21, born in Virginia
Son Agostino, 9, born in Pennsylvania

T.
DBranca

Post by DBranca »

Yes, that's him and my grandmother. My father said he changed the spelling of his name from the Italian (his father's spelling) to a more American version.

The only thing is his older brother's name Joseph. His name actually was Adolf or Adolfo (know to us as Addy). His middle name may have been Joseph and they may have used that name instead.

Thanks so much for this information.
jfcouch

Post by jfcouch »

I live in St. Paul, Virginia where your grandfather once lived. My family knew his family and the attached picture was taken inside the hotel. Could that be your grandfather standing near the 3 ladies at the table?

If you've never been to St. Paul, you'll be pleased to know your grandparents' beautiful building was restored in 1997 and is still a landmark in this area. I'll be glad to send you scanned copies of deeds and records dating from the time when your family were part of St. Paul's small but significant Italian community!

Jerry
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Here is a possible birth record from the Potale della Storia click on the prompt

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta_ ... lice.faces

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Patty-AnnDiLella

Post by Patty-AnnDiLella »

Dear DBranca, I have a great grandmother whose maiden name was Philomena (Filomena) Branca who married a Vincenzo DiLella in Cerrito Sannita. They had six children. Is there a family connection? Would your great grandfather be Philomena Branca's brother???
Thank you, Patty-Ann DiLella