Help with Death Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sams
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Death Record

Post by sams »

Can someone help with the attached death record? I believe the death date is December 30, 1822. What I am having trouble with is interpreting the name of the person who died and the relation to the other people mentioned in the record.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with Death Record

Post by Tessa78 »

Would be happy to help but I don't see a record attached... :-(

T.
sams
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sams »

Sorry, I had trouble uploading an attachment.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Death date reads 12 Dec 1822. On the 30th of December the authorities were notified of the death.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The date of death on notification (on the record) are the same... 30 December. The TIME of death is 12 noon.

Last names are difficult to read clearly...

Those who reported the death were Giovanni Scialica (sp?), 29 and Vincenzo Sciana (sp?)

Deceased was Vincenzo Scialiaca (sp?), 80, husband of Maria Spallino (sp?); and son of deceased Gaspare (?) and Rosa Gippetti (?)

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Record date and death date are both Dec 30, 1822.

Translation follows:
Number 102

On December 30, 1822 at 3:pm in front of me Luigi Siandulla(sp) mayor and civil state officer of Bivona, district of Bivona, valley of Girgenti (nowadsays Agrigento) appeared Maestro Giovanni Sciabica, aged 29, profession ????? of the kingdom (I read Crivaro and could be Scrivano, clerk), livinf in Bivona in the Sanbuco Quarter and Maestro Vincenzo Sciana (sp?) aged 35 profession shoemaker of the kingdom, living in Bivona in the aforesaid quarter, ho have declared that today of the month of December, year as above, at 12 died in his own house Maestro Vincenzo Sciabica husband of Maria Spallino, born in Bivona, profession Crivaro, living in Bivona, aged 80, son of the Mestro Gaspare, profession Crivaro and of Ms Rosa Gippetto xxxx spouses.

According to the law we went with the witnesses to the dead person and we have recognized tat he was actually dead. We have then written this act in the 2 registers and we have read it to the declarants and we have undersigned it.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Whoops! Sorry, didn't read the whole sentence.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Livio :-)

Is the father Maestro Gaspare living? What is written between "delle" and "Maestro"?

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:...

Is the father Maestro Gaspare living? ...
Considering that Vincenzo was 80 when I died, I doubt that his father and mother were still living :wink:
Tessa78 wrote:...

What is written between "delle" and "Maestro"?

T.
Delli furono (plural of del fu).

What I cannot read are the words between Gippetti and jugali
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Considering that Vincenzo was 80 when I died, I doubt that his father and mother were still living Wink
OK - my face is red!!!! :oops: How dumb was that?

And, yes, I am also having trouble with the words after mother's name... :?

T.
sams
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sams »

Many thanks to everyone.

So if I understand this correctly Giovanni Sciabica was the one who notified the authorities of the death of Vincenzo Sciabica.
Vincenzo's wife is/was Maria Spallino.
Vincenzo was 80 years old.
Vincenzo's parents where Gaspare Sciabica and Rosa Gippetti.
There is no reference of the relationship between Giovanni and Vincenzo.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

sams wrote:Many thanks to everyone.

So if I understand this correctly Giovanni Sciabica was the one who notified the authorities of the death of Vincenzo Sciabica. Yes, Giovanni Sciabica and Vincenzo Sciana
Vincenzo's wife is/was Maria Spallino. Yes, she was alive when Vincenzo died
Vincenzo was 80 years old. Yes
Vincenzo's parents where Gaspare Sciabica and Rosa Gippetti. Yes
There is no reference of the relationship between Giovanni and Vincenzo. You are correct