Discrepancy in first name

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JimmyT

Discrepancy in first name

Post by JimmyT »

I have no discrepancies involving our last name. My problem is with my father's first name. He was born and baptized Domenico, but used Dominick on all documents throughout his life. Marriage, my birth certificate, even his death certificate all show Dominick. I hope this is minor as it is just a different version of the same name. Has anyone come across this?. I'll be applying in NY.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Discrepancy in first name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You can never be certain about these things. In mid-2008, NYC gave me a pass on Giuseppe/Joseph however the latter appeared only on my grandfather's death certificate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They were also ok with Gabriele/Gabriel
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

JimmyT, is your father still living?

If yes, then there are simple solutions; if no, then I still don't forsee a problem in NY. Absolute worst case is that they will ask you to have your own birth certificate amended and possibly your parent's marriage certificate - a process which will be much easier if at least one of your parents is living.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

My mother is still living. My question at this point is that if they have a problem with the middle names and I have to get documents changed, will they allow me time to fix the documents or will the whole package be rejected and i'm back on the waiting list for a year from now?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

No, you won't have to start over; generally NY will say, "fix this and then mail me the new documents" or they will offer a new appointment in a month or so.

My rule in these cases is always to just go ahead and fix whatever you can in advance, if for no other reason than to make life simpler for the future genealogists in your family.

Were you born in New York? New York City, or outside the city but within the state?

Where and approximately when were your parent's married?
Carmine

JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

New York City. I'm going tomorrow to change my birth certificate. It probably won't be ready in time, but I'll have a head start.

You've made me feel better concerning how they will treat me.