Vercellino/ Torino, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mvercellinemclaughlin

Vercellino/ Torino, Italy

Post by mvercellinemclaughlin »

I am looking for the surname of Vercellino. Pietro Vercellino was my gr gr grandfather. He left Italy in 1876 the best I can figure. He was born around 1847 and married Johanah Cerreto. He died in 1916 in Negaunee, Michigan. They had 9 children.

Any information would be great.

Thanks
MVercellineMcLauglhin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Vercellino/ Torino, Italy

Post by VaDeb »

Here is a site that will show the distribution of your surname in italy.

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

On the left panel is the word Cognome. Type your surname in and enter.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi MVercellineMcLauglhin all the way from Alaska!!

Have you seen any of his census records? Have you ever seen his boat record as well?

Guessing that
Johanah Cerreto
was also from Italy? I have never seen that given name before... I guess it would similar to "Giovanna"?? Do you know if they were married in Italy or America?

mfjp
mvercellinemclaughlin

mfjp wrote:Hi MVercellineMcLauglhin all the way from Alaska!!

Have you seen any of his census records? Have you ever seen his boat record as well?

Guessing that
Johanah Cerreto
was also from Italy? I have never seen that given name before... I guess it would similar to "Giovanna"?? Do you know if they were married in Italy or America?

mfjp
Well see that is my problem, I know that she was originally from Italy, just dont know if they were married in Italy or in the States. And yes I have seen him on 2 different census records, I also have his obituary, just trying to find out who his parents were. That or siblings.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mvercellinemclaughlin wrote:I am looking for the surname of Vercellino. Pietro Vercellino was my gr gr grandfather. He left Italy in 1876 the best I can figure. He was born around 1847 and married Johanah Cerreto. He died in 1916 in Negaunee, Michigan. They had 9 children.

Thanks
MVercellineMcLauglhin
Hi: most probable that Pietro Vercellino married in Italy with GIOANNA CERETTO (exact spelling: no Giovanna but Gioanna; this is short shape of Giovanna); my personal opinion is that was from Torino province:
-probable birth Commons : Castellamonte; Salassa; Salto; Cuorgnè; San Giorgio Canavese; Ponte Canavese; Ciriè; Torino.. and someother.....
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mvercellinemclaughlin

suanj wrote:
mvercellinemclaughlin wrote:I am looking for the surname of Vercellino. Pietro Vercellino was my gr gr grandfather. He left Italy in 1876 the best I can figure. He was born around 1847 and married Johanah Cerreto. He died in 1916 in Negaunee, Michigan. They had 9 children.

Thanks
MVercellineMcLauglhin
Hi: most probable that Pietro Vercellino married in Italy with GIOANNA CERETTO (exact spelling: no Giovanna but Gioanna; this is short shape of Giovanna); my personal opinion is that was from Torino province:
-probable birth Commons : Castellamonte; Salassa; Salto; Cuorgnè; San Giorgio Canavese; Ponte Canavese; Ciriè; Torino.. and someother.....
regards, suanj
Well I know that he was born in Cuorgne, but that is about as much as I know. Thanks for the correction on the spelling of her name.

MIchelle
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Well, if you already know the birthplace, what you search, ... all documents are in CUORGNE', you can request its... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mvercellinemclaughlin

suanj wrote:Well, if you already know the birthplace, what you search, ... all documents are in CUORGNE', you can request its... suanj
How can I find out how to get those records?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Thanks
MVercellineMcLauglhin
Hi There,

Here is the link for the town you mentioned.
http://www.comune.cuorgne.to.it/

Here is the link for the address where to write for information.
http://www.comune.cuorgne.to.it/polizia.asp

Here is a link to help you write a letter and translate.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

In the 1900 Census, I have the following information. The Census taker was great, he actually but dates of birth down.

Peter, b. Dec 5, 1845, Italy
Joanna, b. July 10, 1847, Italy
Lena, b. Apr 15, 1877, Italy
James, b. May 11, 1880, Italy
Caterina, b. May 18, 1883, Michigan
Mary, b. Mar 12, 1885, Michigan
Joseph, b. July 4, 1886, Michigan
Elizabeth, b. Feb 18, 1888, Michigan
John, b. July 7, 1891, Michigan

According to the census, Joanna (Giovanna) had 13 childr
en and only 8 survived. Plus it stated they came into the USA in 1880.
Census Information:
Year: 1900; Census Place: Negaunee, Marquette, Michigan; Roll: T623 729; Page: 26B; Enumeration District: 126

I hope this is some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here is the census that Trish found for you.

It's nice to see that a couple of the children were born in Italy... more chances of locating a ships record.

http://img227.echo.cx/img227/7803/peter1il.jpg

Castle Garden ship records might include the town from Italy, but won't give you any info as to who their parents were...

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:Here is the census that Trish found for you.

It's nice to see that a couple of the children were born in Italy... more chances of locating a ships record.

Castle Garden ship records might include the town from Italy, but won't give you any info as to who their parents were...

mfjp
Hi Mfjp,

Thank you for posting the census. I have to learn how to do that. Hope you are well.

Trish
ps-my son is smiling too now.lol
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mvercellinemclaughlin

brujaojos wrote:

Thanks
MVercellineMcLauglhin
Hi There,

Here is the link for the town you mentioned.
http://www.comune.cuorgne.to.it/

Here is the link for the address where to write for information.
http://www.comune.cuorgne.to.it/polizia.asp

Here is a link to help you write a letter and translate.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

In the 1900 Census, I have the following information. The Census taker was great, he actually but dates of birth down.

Peter, b. Dec 5, 1845, Italy
Joanna, b. July 10, 1847, Italy
Lena, b. Apr 15, 1877, Italy
James, b. May 11, 1880, Italy
Caterina, b. May 18, 1883, Michigan
Mary, b. Mar 12, 1885, Michigan
Joseph, b. July 4, 1886, Michigan
Elizabeth, b. Feb 18, 1888, Michigan
John, b. July 7, 1891, Michigan

According to the census, Joanna (Giovanna) had 13 childr
en and only 8 survived. Plus it stated they came into the USA in 1880.
Census Information:
Year: 1900; Census Place: Negaunee, Marquette, Michigan; Roll: T623 729; Page: 26B; Enumeration District: 126

I hope this is some help to you.
Trish
This helps an emmense amount, only child not listed on here is Frank, and I believe he was born in Italy as well, as he is older than James ( my great grandfather)

thanks again
mvercellinemclaughlin

mfjp wrote:Here is the census that Trish found for you.

mfjp
Would you happen to have a website for Castle Garden? I tried to search em, but all I found was written documents, not search capabilities
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com (immigration feature) you could access the the Castle Gardens ship records. I think you can do a search without a paid subscription, but all you will get is names and limited info...

You could go to a local Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Phone first and see if they have computers and the internet... if so, you can research from Ancestry.com from there... and you will be able to view the Castle Gardens boat records...

But as mentioned, I will certainly look for a record... and will post here if something of interest is found.

mfjp
mvercellinemclaughlin

mfjp wrote:If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com (immigration feature) you could access the the Castle Gardens ship records. I think you can do a search without a paid subscription, but all you will get is names and limited info...

You could go to a local Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Phone first and see if they have computers and the internet... if so, you can research from Ancestry.com from there... and you will be able to view the Castle Gardens boat records...

But as mentioned, I will certainly look for a record... and will post here if something of interest is found.

I hit the jackpot and managed to find Pietro's parents. However, I believe that his mother was french. Her surname was Cherette. The problem is now that I have no idea where she was from, if indeed she is french. I think I am going to have to find a marriage certificate for Frank and Elizabeth (parents). Any suggestions as to how I could find this?

mfjp