Appointment Recap-NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Appointment Recap-NYC

Post by MST995 »

Hello again,
My appointment was on Tuesday at the NY consulate (69th and Park). After reading some horror stories I went in prepared for the worst; I was prepared to have a pompous, rude individual on a power trip rip apart my application, piece by piece; however, to my delight, I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness, helpfulness, and professionalism of all the people who work there.
When I arrived (about 30 minutes before my scheduled appointment time) I rang the bell and they buzzed me in (note that I had to give it a second attempt because my literacy skills were apparently lacking that day and I proceeded to try to pull the door open :oops: ). Once inside, a man behind a window asked for ID and my appointment information, he also gave me a one page form to fill out with general information. I then walked into the main lobby area where I went through a metal detector and was directed to the second floor via elevator. It would have been a short walk up the spiral staircase in the lobby, but for safety reasons they don't allow people to use those stairs. Stepping out of the elevator, the citizenship office is directly across the way. There is a small waiting area with a couple of benches outside of the door. A woman (who I later learned would be the same woman reviewing my application) happened to be returning to her office as I arrived in the waiting area and she acknowledged my presence and told me to fill out the form I had received from the window man and she would be with me shortly (note-bring a pen with you!). Not ten minutes later, she poked out from behind the closed door of the citizenship office and welcomed me in. I took a seat at her desk, and then it was down to business. She immediately request my drivers license and passport (luckily I brought my passport with me, I didn't think I would need it) She then requested and meticulously inspected each document starting with my great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy and working down to my birth certificate. There were two items that she mentioned as "discrepancies" along the way which I was already aware of. A.) my grandfather's year of birth was 1 year off on his marriage license. B)My great grandmother's Americanized name was Jennie, changed from Giovanna. After she collected everything from me, she asked me to step back out into the waiting area for a bit. I waited about 10 minutes and she came out and informed me that they were going to review everything and contact me either by mail or email. They didn't ask me to amend anything or get them any additional info.... should I see this as a success? My advice:
Bring your American passport
Bring a Pen
Be prepared- Have all of your documents ready so they aren't waiting when they ask for them (I used post-it tabs labeled "GM Birth, GF Death" etc.)
Be relaxed-Its easy to get nervous in there but remember, you have the right to claim your citizenship and you aren't a con-artist; it seems fraud is a big problem with trying to obtain italian citizenship.... they had posted on the wall what seemed to be fake/counterfeit apostilles as a comparison tool.
Anyway, that's my story, sorry for the long windedness!
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Appointment Recap-NYC

Post by rgaetano »

congrats on a smooth appointment! looks like you should be in good shape. i'm glad to hear positive news out of NY after everyone makes it sound so horrible. I have a couple of questions for you,

1. did you have/were you required to have any/all non-blood line documents?

2. what kind of translations did you have?

3. if you had naturalization documents, which did they want? (I think I have obtained extra naturalization documents that aren't required, so I'd like to know just the ones they want)

thanks
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

She did collect all documents, including non bloodline. I had apostilles and translations for everything.

At the recommendation of people from this forum, I got the translations from Gabriella Einaga("gabriella_einaga @ att.net")... she was very attentive, thorough and accommodating. I procrastinated until last weekend and she was able to have all translations in a 6 day turnaround... all for a very reasonable price... $20 for marriage and death certificates and $15 for birth. The translations were accepted with no problems. The consulate did look at the translation for my own birth certificate very carefully, so make sure that you double check that all of the info is accurate on that one especially.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

And to answer your question about the naturalization docs, I had the letter from the USCIS along with the copy of the naturalization record and petition for naturalization that they sent me. I also requested a copy from the county clerk... the county clerk was not able to certify the petition for naturalization, or the copy of the certificate... but she did certify the oath of allegience... so I pretty much did some overkill with the naturalization docs.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Better to be over-prepared. It seems to have gone well, and the appointment is the hardest part. Hope you hear from them soon.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

My appointment is in August. I've requested naturalization papers for both maternal grandparents and haven't received anything as yet. Received email copies of their birth certificates from Italy. Will that suffice? Does everything need the apostille? I'm so confused as to what I really need and what I want to have just to make sure I have everything! Would you mind listing what you brought with you? That would be really helpful to me. Do they take all your originals? :shock:
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

No email copies will suffice for any of the documents, they need to be hard copies. The ones I received also had the seal of the Italian village on them.

The naturalization docs that you get from the USCIS will not be certified... I would recommend going to the county clerk where your ancestor naturalized and requesting anything they can give you as far as naturalization docs go and ask the county clerk to certify anything he/she is allowed to certify (the only document my county clerk was "allowed" to certify was the oath of allegience). For me this was just a quick and easy call to the county clerks office and she mailed the docs to me gratis and within 3 days I received copies of some alien registration card, some info on his arrival, his petition for naturalization, and oath of allegience(certified)... they were not able to give me a copy of his actual naturalization certificate though, this I received from the USCIS.

Basically you need certified copies of all birth, marriage, death, and divorce records with apostilles and translations for each one. This is costly and time consuming but they do collect and keep everything. The easiest (but most costly) way to get everything you need rather quickly is through vital chek... when you are ordering them, make sure when you get to the "reason" drop down selection menu you select "long form." If you do it this way, your NY state documents will for sure be ready for apostilles. (not sure about nyc docs though? might need a letter of exemplification??). Once you have all the american certificates, scan them on to your computer and send them to a translator.... then send them off to the secretary of states office for apostilles. Once you receive them back from the sec. of state, paperclip the translations to the respective certificate and you're ready for the consulate. Note: you do not need an apostille for the italian certificates or the naturalization paperwork.... no translations either.
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

If this is easier:

GGF-Italian Birth Certificate (hard copy from Italy)
GGM-Italian Birth Certificate (hard copy from Italy)
GGF-Naturalization Paperwork- From USCIS & County Clerk

American Docs: 10 total
GGF-GGM-Marriage -Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
GGF-Death-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
GM-Birth-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
GM-GF-Marriage-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
GF-Birth-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
GF-Death-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
M-Birth-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
M-F-Marriage-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
F-Birth-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
Self-Birth-Certified-Long Form, Apostille, Translated
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

That makes it very clear! Good thing my appt. isn't til August. So far then I only have my parents marriage certificate in long form w/apostille. YIKES! I need to get moving. Oh, one more thing if you wouldn't mind. Do I need 2 sets of all docs because my sister is also going for dual citizenship with me? Our appointments are 1/2 hour apart.
Thanks, Roberta
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you are applying at the same consulate, you will need only one set of documents. Tell the interviewer that your sister is following you and will be using the same citizenship line. They will likely add her application and documents to your file.
apple0202

Post by apple0202 »

going to make a appointment soon my concern is the last letter of our name documents have a I some have O also naturalization I have the petetion from the archives but not the certof naturalization is this a major problem and like to have sombody or company review my application/documents before making a appointment
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

When I called for my appointment, it was last September. At that time, the next available appt. was Aug 2011. I'd suggest making your appt. as soon as possible.