Scilingo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
msilingo

Scilingo

Post by msilingo »

Looking for any information or relatives of Luigi Scilingo,(aka, Louis Silingo) DOB June 5, 1885 married Florence Malloy( her DOB 9/1/1895)
Ellis Island Passenger record shows place of residence Malvito, Italy.
Age at arrival 17
Destination: Chicago, Illinois
Naturalization:March 31, 1939
Resided in Chicago, illinois until death in 1958

Does anyone know where I can write to the Malvito, Cosenza area to request a record of birth?

Large number of arrivals at Ellis Island with the surname Scilingo during late 1880's to early 1900's

Apparently Louis had a falling out with his family and changed his surname around 1910.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Scilingo

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome! :D

Request a birth record at this address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza De Iacovo, 1
87010 Malvito (CS)
ITALY

Help with request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

As I mentioned in your other thread, one entire side of my family came from Malvito. As such, I have spent many tens of hours researching at the Archivio di Stato di Cosenza website, http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta/ ... heda.faces#

Now, I have to say that in my own family, I have noticed that many of the later Malvito records (say, 1880+) seem to not be available on this site. But at the same time, many are there.

I bring this up because the only record I find with a date anywhere near your Luigi's birth date is this one:
SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1885.Volume number 214,
document number 87 page 230 section c
Giuseppe Carmine Scilingo, enlisted on 22/05/1905
born on 05/06/1885 to MALVITO
son/daughter of Raffaele Scilingo and of Maria Rosa Mandarino
Keep in mind that dates in Italian records are written dd/mm/yyyy. Possibly Giuseppe Carmine Scilingo was Luigi's twin brother?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Thanks to all for the great resource help! I wish there were someone left alive in the family that knew either name of Louis parents and I could at least narrow it down in the Italian records. Not sure why he changed his name but he did use June 5, 1885 on his American draft record.
He named his first son, Michael Angelo and there is a Luigi Scilingo born on 8/1/1885 whose father's name was Angelo Scilingo.
Now I'm totally lost
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

msilingo wrote:Looking for any information or relatives of Luigi Scilingo,(aka, Louis Silingo) DOB June 5, 1885 married Florence Malloy( her DOB 9/1/1895)
Ellis Island Passenger record shows place of residence Malvito, Italy.
Age at arrival 17
Destination: Chicago, Illinois
Naturalization:March 31, 1939
Resided in Chicago, illinois until death in 1958
On the Ellis Island manifest for Luigi Scilingo arriving 1902 (age 17) his destination is hard to read, but looks like he is going to someone whose last name is Scilingo in Chicago...
The passenger below him, Francesco Spinelli, also from Malvito, looks to also be going to someone whose last name is Scilingo... The address isn't much better to read than Luigi's, but it could be "936 or 934 Polk St., Chicago"

T.
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Thanks again for all the help. I no longer have a subscirption with Ancestry.com but I seem to remember a Polk address on one of Louis Silingo's draft registration or naturalization forms. Seems like it was a witness.

I discovered yesterday that Louis Silingo was buried in Queen of Heaven cemetary in Chicago around the 27th of October, 1958 and was 73 years old at the time or his death. That would at least put his birth year 1885.

My sister-in-law told me she seems to remember the name Spinelli when she was growing up, which was the name of the passenger that was traveling with Luigi from Italy to Ellis Island. She also believes that a couple of her Uncles lived on Polk street.

I have all these clues and don't know if there all coincidence, it's driving me crazy!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If he had a Social Security Number, you can request a copy of his SS Application (for a fee). That should have the names of his parents and place of birth...

Request online here...
http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Tessa, can I request a copy without his Social Security number? I can't seem to find any information on this man anywhere.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

At the website there is an option to have them do the search without a SS#. It costs a little more, and I don't know if they'll find it, but it may be worth a shot...
It's the second choice on the Photocopy request...

BTW - the Photocopy will provide you with a copy of the actual application.
The Extract will only be info them pull from the application. I would definitely spring for the Photocopy.

I discovered yesterday that Louis Silingo was buried in Queen of Heaven cemetary in Chicago around the 27th of October, 1958 and was 73 years old at the time or his death.
You might also try calling the cemetery to ask about his burial certificate - that may or may not have his SS #. If they have a copy of his death cert. - it should be on that.
T.
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Ahhh SUCCESS

Received a copy of Louis Silingo's application for a U.S. Social Security number and he listed his name as Louis Antonio Silingo and his mother's name as Rose Mandarino and father's name Ralph Silingo. Interesting that he listed his birth place on Petition for Naturalization as Malvito. Nope, no Ralph in Malvito but I wrote to the Commune Di Malvito and they sent his birth certificate stating he was Luigi Antonio Michele Scilingo with parents, Raffaele Michele Scilingo and mother, Maria Rosa Mandarino and was born on June 5, 1885. One last question I have is who the heck is Guiseppe Carmine Scilingo born the same day as Luigi to the same parent's? So back to writing Malvito I go.

Thank you again to all who sent me in the right direction, and yes Luigi's record of birth was not listed in the Portale Della Storia Degli Italiani but I was able to find all of his brother's and grandparents. Is their any way to go back before 1800 and find ancestors?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Congrats!

Don't be surprised if it turns out that Giuseppe Carmine was Luigi's twin brother.

To go back prior to 1800 or to fill in the missing blanks, your only real option is to continue requesting records from the Stato Civile office in Malvito. Thankfully, they have always been very responsive to document requests; I once mailed a request for the birth, marriage, and death acts for all four great-grandparents and received the 10 documents less than three weeks later.

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to space out your requests and not get too greedy. With each new request, be sure to graciously thank the official for his previous service. Is it still Sig. Enzo De Iacovo? He hasn't said one way or the other, but I wonder if we are related as his shares the same surname as my mother and her Malvito-born father.

PS: In addition to the online state archives of Cosenza, you also have the option of ordering microfilms for viewing at your local family history center (typically located in a nearby Mormon church). Films are available for Malvito covering 1809-1910, however - fair warning - all are difficult to read, the older ones especially so. See [url]http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0[/url
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

msilingo wrote:Ahhh SUCCESS
How wonderful for you!!! Glad to hear good news... :-)

You may also consider writing to the local parish for records prior to 1800 :D

Some information regarding church records at this site...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... cords.html

T.
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

[quote="johnnyonthespot"]Congrats!

Don't be surprised if it turns out that Giuseppe Carmine was Luigi's twin brother.

To go back prior to 1800 or to fill in the missing blanks, your only real option is to continue requesting records from the Stato Civile office in Malvito. Thankfully, they have always been very responsive to document requests; I once mailed a request for the birth, marriage, and death acts for all four great-grandparents and received the 10 documents less than three weeks later.

Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to space out your requests and not get too greedy. With each new request, be sure to graciously thank the official for his previous service. Is it still ? He hasn't said one way or the other, but I wonder if we are related as his shares the same surname as my mother and her Malvito-born father.

PS: In addition to the online state archives of Cosenza, you also have the option of ordering microfilms for viewing at your local family history center (typically located in a nearby Mormon church). Films are available for Malvito covering 1809-1910, however - fair warning - all are difficult to read, the older ones especially so. See [url]http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0[/url[/quote

Yes, the offical is still Sig. Enzo De Iacovo and the response time from Malvito was amazing!!! Received my request within 2 weeks. I have written a new letter to see if I can try and figure out who Giuseppe is? Louis was so secretive family member's that are now deceased knew very little about him. I have located his where-abouts, in the US, from 1911 when he married but he arrived in 1902 and he was under the radar and not sure what name he was using. No census record from 1910 list's him and he never left Chicago.
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Lst month I received the birth certificate for my husband's grandfather, Luigi Scilingo, from Malvito, Italy finally giving us a link for the family.But in our search we discovered that another child born on the same day and to the same parents named Guiseppe Carmine Scilingo. We are assuming this may be a twin brother and have sent a letter to Malvito asking if this was a twin birth or the same person. I received an e-mail today for the cost a document of Guiseppe's. Not sure what document it is and how to just ask if this is a twin or the same child. Not sure what to do. What is the best way to send them 3.60 Euro in an envelope as they are requesting?