Social Security Application

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Social Security Application

Post by KarenChristino »

How long have you all waited for a Social Security Application? It seems to me that someone posted that it could take up to 4 months, but I can't find it now. I wrote them in mid-July, they cashed the check on September 1 (6 weeks sitting in a pile I suppose!) and I have still not heard from them. I tried to follow up by phone, it took forever and they seemed to have no clue.

I am thinking about resubmitting online, which I guess I should have done in the first place. Any thoughts?

Thanks, everyone!

Karen
vj
Master
Master

Re: Social Security Application

Post by vj »

Karen,
About 4 weeks.
I have done it several times.
Both by mail and online.

I would make another copy of your request and proof of the payment
and send them a letter explaining the problem.
You may want to include both your phone number and email address in case they have any questions.

I'm betting they will do it again for you.
Valarie
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Thank you for the suggestion. Only 4 weeks -- and here I've been waiting all this time! Sometimes I feel like these requests fall down some kind of black government hole. I just followed up on my GF military records (I have been waiting since December) and now they say February!

I will try again...
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

4 wks in my experience too.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Thanks. I think something must have gone wrong with my initial request since they did not cash the check for 6 weeks. I re-ordered online (where they at least give you an Order #), requested a refund by phone and wrote for a refund of the initial charge. I am curious to see if they can handle this complex transaction. :wink:

Karen
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Has anyone received a Social Security Application lately? I ordered online on 12/2/10 (about 11 weeks now) and have still heard nothing, despite several calls to the voice mailbox they provide. I have also had no response to my written request of 7/14/10 (over 6 months ago) and follow-up for refund.

Does anyone have contact information where a live person can be reached? I tried to call the regular Social Security line, had to hold forever and the person I finally reached could give me no information. I am becoming really impatient! I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!
cgiulia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cgiulia »

I've been waiting since October 13th. They cashed my check, received my request (SS app for my deceased grandfather, with SS# provided and copy o SS death index)... I emailed, they sent me a form letter with a number to call. Then they sent me another email basically instructing me on how to do the process I had done in the first place!

I've never gotten a live person by phone, left messages but never got a call back... and considered reordering online but I can't figure out how to do it... anyone have a link?

Thanks!
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Well I am relieved to hear that at least I'm not the only one! Here is a page from About.com with links for both online ordering and by mail (scroll down) --
http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... tml#153933

I feel like we are subsidizing their nonsense. They've taken $74 from me already with no response! I don't want to sound snarky, but when I write to Italy I usually get a prompt reply and they send me what I want, often at no charge. I think we're at the mercy of disgruntled U.S. civil servants who are having to work a little harder these days and getting paranoid that they'll be the next to be laid off. At least I hope that's all it is.

Could you post the e-mail address that you used? I know it didn't work, but I figure that at least it gives something else to try!

Karen
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Looks like I posted the wrong page. Try this: http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I finally received my GF's Social Security application today. I wrote them a somewhat strong follow-up letter in March and sent it by certified mail. Strange that he was listed as Antonio Cristino on the Social Security Death Index and his application came back under Anthony Christino, the name he used for most of his life. I hope this will be OK. Mother's correct maiden name is also on it, though he changed Maria to Mary. This query took 9 months from beginning to end! Could have had a child in the time it took them to process it. :)