Who lived there??

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
msoetinger

Who lived there??

Post by msoetinger »

On ship Manifest, it lists my Grandfather as coming to visit his brother in law at 737 S. 7th St, Philadelphia Pa. Francesco ? Suchetto-Is there a way to see who lived at this address in 1903? Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this ??
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Who lived there??

Post by johnnyonthespot »

'taint easy, but you can review the 1900 and 1910 censuses for that address. I will look into it in an hour or so.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

1910 census, South 7th Street, Philidelphia. Beginning on line 97, and continuing onto the second sheet, you have the census of 735 and 737 ("735-7") South Seventh Street. I presume this may have been a duplex and that it why it is shown as 735-7.

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.

I didn't have any luck finding the 1900 census for 737 South 7th; maybe I need to go back and look at 735 more carefully...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

1900 census of 735 South 7th Street appears to show the same family names as at 735-7 in the 1910 census.

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: The correct spelling is more likely to be Sachetto or Sachetti; both exist in small numbers in modern Italy and in ancestry . com records. Suchetto does not appear to exist anywhere.
Carmine

msoetinger

Post by msoetinger »

Very Interesting. I was wondering if this may have been a boarding house. I haven't a clue of how you get the the 1910 census or any other without looking for a specific person. Can you tell me how to do that? I have both Ancestry.com and Familytree maker. I found out that multiple family members of my granfather and the Siciliano have gone to this address over many years. Thanks for your help!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

msoetinger wrote:... I haven't a clue of how you get the the 1910 census or any other without looking for a specific person. Can you tell me how to do that?
Give up my secrets?? Okay, I guess so...

Start here: http://stevemorse.org/census/index.html

At the top of the page, use the dropdpwn to select the year of interest. Next, select a state, and then continue on from there. Once you get to the street level, be sure to pay attention to the prompts (in red). If necessary, use something like Google Maps to determine the nearest cross-streets to the address you are seeking. When you are finished, you will have one or more enumeration district numbers which cover the address of interest.

Now, go back to ancestry . com and click Search -> Census & Votor Lists. On the right side of the next page, click "U.S. Federal Census Collection." At the bottom-left of the next page, select the census of interest, for example, "1900 United States Federal Census."

Next page, right side, use the drop downs to select the state and county. The next part gets a little tricky - using your data and the 1900 census as an example, I searched by trial and error the Township choices to find which one included enumeration district 82 - it turned out to be Philadelphia Ward 4.

Okay, so now the first page of the 1900 US census of Philadelphia Ward 4 Enumeration District 82 pops up. From here, it is just a matter of scanning through the pages until you find the address you are looking for.

Note that enumerators often jumped around; on this particular census, 7th Street (also written as "Seventh") appears on several different pages - a few house numbers here, a few house numbers there. Locating a particular address can be very frustrating, especially when the census runs 60, 70, 80 pages. :?
Carmine

msoetinger

Post by msoetinger »

Haha... You're a good man!!! I will try this- emphasis on TRY!!!