Giovannina Cifaldi-Can't locate birth or death certificates.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeZurlo

Giovannina Cifaldi-Can't locate birth or death certificates.

Post by JoeZurlo »

Hello all you wonderful people who have helped me in the past with my Italian citizenship. I only need two more documents for my citizenship. The birth & death certificate of my great grandmother, Giovannina Cifaldi.
I ordered a search for her death certificate from Brooklyn, after two months they couldn't find it. The search is very limited, with you allowed only one borough to search in and only a few years. I have no idea when she died. Here is all the info I have on her:
June 17, 1905 she marries my great grandfather Catello Zurlo in Manhattan, she was 17 years old and lived at 24 or 34 Mulberry Street.
Her parents names are Filomeno and Concetta.
1909 my grandfather Vincenzo "Vincent" is born. She was 19 years old and lived with Catello at 44-46 Madison Street.
1910 I believe she shows up on the 1910 census using the name "Jennie" Zurlo.
In 1918 Catello Zurlo is married to Maria Regato, so what happened to Giovannina Cifaldi? If any one can please help locate her birth/death certificates I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you my friends. If you need anymore info, please ask.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Giovannina Cifaldi-Can't locate birth or death certifica

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Joe,

I was looking at some of your older posts and a couple of questions come to mind:

a) Have you determined with certainty which spelling - Zurlo or Zullo - is correct? Both exist in almost equal numbers in modern Italy http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&dv=&l=en

b) Are you certain of Giovanna's parent's given names?

c) In an earlier thread, you were pointed to possible Naturalization documents. Did anything pan out with that research?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

This may have come up before: does this naturalization index card belong to your Catello?

At age 65 in 1946, he would have been born circa 1881 - quite reasonable for someone who married in 1905.

Click to enlarge.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JoeZurlo

Post by JoeZurlo »

Yes that is my Great Grandfather's card, I have that in my possession, along with his driver's license, etc...
The surname is incorrectly spelled on Catello's birth certificate as "Zurolo", in 1901 the Italian Consulate in NYC amends the surname but only for use in Italy, which explained why Catello continues to use the incorrect spelling in america. I have their marriage certificate with the parent's names on them. My great grandmother is a mystery to me, I have a feeling she died very young, I just need to know when/where.
Thanks for the reply.

P.S. I'm in Connecticut too.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Joe,

With the information on that card plus $7.50 and a couple of weeks waiting time, you can obtain full copies of Catello's naturalization documents including the Declaration of Intent and the Petition for Naturalization. Lots of good stuff there, including the date and means (name of ship) by which he arrived in the US, the names, birthdates and birthplaces of his children, his own date and place of birth, as well as the date and place of birth of his spouse.

See this post for details on how to order: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... es#p159716
Carmine

JoeZurlo

Post by JoeZurlo »

Thank you so much for the information, I have ordered the records. My appointment with the Italian Consulate is June 30th, I may have to reschedule now since I'm missing those two documents. Thank you for all your help!

Joe