Question regarding foundling name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Question regarding foundling name

Post by ajcris13 »

I was told by my mother that my GGM was illegitimate and was placed in an orphanage. It was also told to me that she knew her mother (who had relocated to Nice, France) but the name was lost to the family. I received the marrriage and birth certificates of my GGM and found that the name of her mother was listed as Carmela Esposito, father was unknown. My relatives said that they do not believe that this is the real name, rather it was derived from the orphanage of the same name (many foundlings had the last name of Esposito). I disagree, if this were so, there would be no name listed for the mother. I believe that my GGM's mother's name was Esposito. Let me know your thoughts.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question regarding foundling name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If your GGM was a true foundling/abandoned infant, her birth certificate would state that and would include details concerning where she was "found" and by whom, what clothing/blankets she was dressed in, etc.

I think you are correct; considering the surname Esposito, GGM's mother (or an earlier ancestor) may have been a foundling.

Neither of these facts precludes the possibility that your GGM was sent to an orphanage at some time after her birth was formally recognized. For example, if her own mother died and there were no other relatives (or none who were willing to take her in), GGM may have ended up in an orphanage.

What year are we talking about?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question regarding foundling name

Post by ajcris13 »

1868 City of Napoli