Coming to America

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nikki4189

Coming to America

Post by Nikki4189 »

I have had many relatives that have come here from Sicily and Italy. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they had to go through to get here. How long was the trip. (late 1800's very early 1900's). What kind of conditions did they have to deal with? How much luggage could you bring? I have seen some relatives go back and forth a few times and was wondering how would one be able to afford it, and why on earth would someone want to go on that journey over and over? What would be reasons to leave the homeland and everyone they knew? How were they treated once the got here? Would love some insight!
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Coming to America

Post by Naples13 »

I just finished a VERY good book full of insight on what the boat may have been like and what life was like in NYC for Italian Immigrants and a few reasons people came here.

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Street- ... 080&sr=1-1

Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano I know it seems like a very BIG book but it reads easy & fast.
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Elizabeth Street is a wonderful book...

For a non-fiction account of the "crossing" experience, and life in a tenement, an excellent and eye-opening book is:

Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question

Published in 1904
Author is Broughton Brandenburg

T.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naples13 »

Thank you, T...I will look that one up.
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Tessa78 wrote:Elizabeth Street is a wonderful book...

For a non-fiction account of the "crossing" experience, and life in a tenement, an excellent and eye-opening book is:

Imported Americans: The Story of the Experiences of a Disguised American and His Wife Studying the Immigration Question

Published in 1904
Author is Broughton Brandenburg

T.
I just downloaded this as an (out-of-copyright) free eBook; it is available in multiple formats at http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924021182278. Having gotten through the first two chapters, I just want to say Thank You, Tess, for alerting me to what looks to be a great read.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Prego, Carmine! :wink:

T.
ianiro

Post by ianiro »

"La Storia" is great book that covers a lot of what you want to know.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naples13 »

Do you know the author for "La Storia"?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Authors of La Storia are Jerre Mangione & Ben Morreale :-)

T.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naples13 »

Thank you! Found it! 8)