website to help read Italian script

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

website to help read Italian script

Post by CowryShells »

Hi!

I came across this website with samples of Italian script, abbreviations, common Italian given names and surnames, and also a link to the famous Italian Records Extraction guide. (There's also help for reading script in several other languages.)

http://script.byu.edu/ Just click on "Italian Script Tutorial".

Hope others find it helpful.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: website to help read Italian script

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks for sharing this link. I have never seen it before. Looks like it will be very helpful to posters on this forum.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Great site indeed!
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

Hi Peg! And hi Livio too!

I forgot to mention their lists of common phrases. Under "Quick Links", click on "Common Phrases". Then choose either christening records, marriage records, or burial records, for the appropriate list.

Best wishes!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It's definitely a great link. I just hope the posters on this website, who are trying to decipher their Italian documents, make use of it. They could learn a lot from such a website.
Peg
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

The site in the like is fine resource but for many things it is only somewhat helpful. By that I mean the site clearly states they are addressing Italian and not other regional languages, specifically mentioning Sicilian. Well, the bulk of those who came to the New World were not actually Italian, but Sicilian. I know, I know, the distinction is blurry. You can call them Italian if you like, but the older (pre-unification) documents are heavily laced with dialect, Sicilian dialect. Yes, of course, the site is a start, and a good start, but only a start. So if you find something like "s.c.s.r.e." and want to know what it means, you just may just have to look elsewhere. :-( Best of luck all! Louis
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

(Whoops... like = link (spell check can't catch that.)