finding the ship of passage for my grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
throgg

finding the ship of passage for my grandfather

Post by throgg »

According to the U. S. 1900 census, my grandfather, Michael Luciano (born 1864) emigrated to America in 1887 with his wife, Mary (or Filomena) (born 1866)and 2 children, Frank (born 1886) and Maggie (born 1887). I believe they started out in Serino, Avellino, Italy. I have been trying to find the manifest for the ship they traveled on. Can anyone help me find that document?
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: finding the ship of passage for my grandfather

Post by Bette »

Have you looked at the Castle Garden web site? Do you think they would arrived at the Port of New York? Here is the Castle Garden web site. You can do a "search" and enter the last name, and date range.

http://www.castlegarden.org/

There is a Michele Luciano coming over in 11 May 1887 from Avellino. But, there are several Michele listed. Do you know the maiden name of his wife? Italian women usually travel under their legal name, which is their maiden name in Italy. If the family all traveled together, you would need to look for his wife and children also to see if they are on the same ship. The first names would most likely be in Italian, just as Michele is the Italian equivalent of Michael.

Hope this helps.
Bette
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D

Here is a look at the manifest Bette found,

Michele Luciano coming over in 11 May 1887 from Avellino
http://postimage.org/image/2xn95rhok/

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

This a reference point for the Luciano family 1900 census from Connecticut > Fairfield > Bridgeport > District 43

Home in 1900:Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut
Immigration Year:1887
Father's name:Mike Luciano
Father's Birthplace:Italy
Mother's name:Mary Luciano
Mother's Birthplace:Italy
Household Members:
Name Age
Mike Luciano35
Mary Luciano33
Frank Luciano14
Maggie Luciano13
Charles Luciano9
Anthony Luciano8
Chick Luciano6
William Luciano4
Annie Luciano1
Donato Devian25
Aniel Devian34
Aniel Dopillio37
Mike Collillo 41
click to enlarge
luciano.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
throgg

Post by throgg »

Thank you all, Bette, Paul, and Marty,
Regarding my grandmother - I have a copy of my dad's birth certificate that lists her maiden name as Fileamo Folgia. I believe that the American who made out the document seriously misspelled it. After speaking to an older cousin, she remembers that her name was Filomena. Other documents refer to Philomena. The last name I'm guessing is probably Foglia. I have a copy of the 1900 and 1920 census. In 1920 she is listed as Philomena. The interesting thing to me is that if she actually emigrated in 1887 and the data in the 1900 census is accurate, Maggie was an infant (less than 1 year old) and Frank was about 1 or 2 years old. Wow! Poor Filomena on a boat with 2 in diapers (I'm not sure they even had diapers). I looked at the manifest that Paul sent and couldn't see anything that made sense. I'll keep trying
Thanks again
Joe
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I believe that this immigration record could be abt your Filomena Foglia; she was in travel with the son Orazio age 4( in 1889) and Carmela age 2( in 1889);
in the trip also Antonio Luciano and him children; I know that Orazio and Carmela are no the american first name Frank and Maggie, but many italians changed the first names in the USA;
I am positive that is your Filomena:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Filemona Toglia
Name: Filemona Toglia (Filomena FOGLIA)
Arrival Date: 11 Apr 1889
Birth Year: abt 1863
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Genoa and Naples, Italy and Marseilles, France
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Britannia

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/60 ... a1889.jpg/
just my suggestion,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
throgg

Post by throgg »

First of all thank you Suanj. Wow! What a significant finding locating the illusive Filomena.

In reviewing the 1900 census, I observe that the fellow that collected the data did not have an Italian surname and we don’t know whom he spoke to when he came to the house. This is enough to know to understand the differences between this census and other documents.

I’m inclined to accept your assertion that this is my grandmother, Filomena Foglia. It also seems reasonable to accept that Orazio is the son, Frank,listed in the 1900 census. I have found other names that have changed as well.
Regarding Carmela (whom I knew as Aunt Maggie), I had a conversation with one of her two remaining daughters a few weeks ago, Florence Orton. Florence told me that her mom’s real name was Maria Carmela Luciano. I never knew that.

Now the Britannia manifest raises a couple of additional questions.
Is Filomena travelling with her brother-in-law, Antonio and his two children, Genaro 9 and Donata 3?
When did her husband emigrate?
Was he already in America?
The next two children listed on the 1900 census, Charles and Anthony (actually Thomas Anthony – I knew him as Uncle Tom) were described, in other documents as being born in New Jersey. If that’s true, the family would have spent some time in New Jersey after arriving before they ended up in Connecticut in 1900.????

Your contribution to my quest has been enormous. Thanks again,
Joe
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Joe, Carmela/Maggie Luciano was born in may 1897, so the father must be immigrated abt max 9 months before of Carmela birth; now only the record found by Paolo47 can match a bit...by castlegarden.org
it are:
-LUCIANO MICHELE 27 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO final destination Petaluma, CA and cannot be your ancestor because California seeming no pertaining

or this other record:
-LUCIANO MICHELE 25 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO final destination: New York
that can be your ancestor....
most probably Carmela was born before of may 1887, but only searching by LDS microfilms:
Registri dello stato civile di Serino (Avellino), 1809-1899 Serino (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

you can know the right birthdate of Orazio and Carmela; and the birthdate of Orazio must matching with Frank Luciano birthdate....
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Is Filomena travelling with her brother-in-law, Antonio and his two children, Genaro 9 and Donata 3?
Joe, just to add.. I think Antonio might be Antonia since she/he appears to be
in the same compartment as Filomena, the children and the rest of the females on this sheet. If this is correct, she is a Luciano, married to ???

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes can be Antonia (female) instead of Antonio (male); but also " figlio Orazio " (Orazio son) have a F( female) instead a M ( male)... but is clearly a son... so it is hard to say... but maybe is the sister in law... it is possible.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
throgg

Post by throgg »

This information is like the current Mississippi River flowing over its banks. I sense that I'm sitting at the dinner table and the dish in front of me has so many cannoli on it that I can't decide which to eat first. Grazie a tutti.
Starting from the manifest of The Britannia if Filomena was born in 1863 that makes the most sense. It appears that Carmela (Aunt Maggie)was 2 years old and Orazio (Uncle Frank) was 4. In any case she was traveling with either her sister-in-law or her brother-in-law and two additional children. Please tell me what the column marked as "Calling" means and what is the word at the top of the column. It looks like Pag???
Consider now the manifest of 11 May 1887 that show Michele Luciano #5 on the manifest. If his age is listed as 23 that would make his birth year about 1863. That would make sense as compared to the 1900 census. Can you please tell me the name and age of passenger #6 on the manifest. It looks like a teenage Luciano female. Also please tell me the name of the ship for this manifest. The copy that I have is blurred.
I'm getting close to constructing a imagined narrative (much classier than saying guessed) of the emigration of my Luciano family. For my mom's family, Gallucci from Faeto 1906-1907, Foggia I have the passports. It made the imagining much easier.
I see that you are all working on Saturday. In The USA that's overtime and you should be well compensated. When I hit the big lotto, I'm coming to Italy and taking you all out to dinner.
Thanks a million,
Joe
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the ship name is: CHERIBON
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... d=10240255
the line 6 the name is LUCIANO Ang. (Angela) Maria;
In same trip the Lucianos:
LUCIANO ARCANGELO 53 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO
LUCIANO FRANCESCO 22 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO
LUCIANO A.MARIA* 17 F 11 May 1887 AVELLINO ( really I read: Ang. Maria)
LUCIANO MICHELE 25 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO
LUCIANO MICHELE 27 M 11 May 1887 AVELLINO
http://www.castlegarden.org/search_02.p ... ubmit.y=10
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH