NYC apt next week- here is what I have

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

NYC apt next week- here is what I have

Post by rgaetano »

My appointment in New York is next week. I'm applying through GGF - GF - F - Me. Below is what I have (or will have) for the appointment. For non-boodline, I only have apostilles for documents that came from a county certification, if they didn't, I didn't obtain the extra certification, and therefore did not apostille them.

1. GGF Birth certificate (estratto and certificato, 2 different dates – actual birth date and registration date)
2. GGF + GGM Marriage certificate (amended to fix errors, apostille, translation)
3. GGF Death certificate (amended to fix errors, apostille, translation)
4. GGM Death certificate (translation)
5. GGF Naturalization records
6. GF Birth certificate (apostille, translation)
This document has 2 errors. 1) last name is spelled wrong in GF and GGF (one letter misspelled), and 2) the middle name which is used in all other documents for GF is missing. I (will) have a certified letter from the town clerk stating that the mistakes are errors and that the two names are the same people, that nobody else existed in the same town with the same parents with that misspelling, and also that the person on this birth certificate is the same person on other NYS documents with the middle name appearing…etc. Best I could do to try to avoid a court order.
7. GF + GM Marriage certificate (apostille, translation)
8. GM Death certificate (apostille, translation)
9. GF Death certificate (apostille, translation)
10. Father Birth certificate (apostille, translation)
11. Mother Birth certificate (translation)
12. Father + Mother marriage (apostille, translation). This record was only available in “extract form”, and I have a letter from the County clerk saying that this is the only type they have (it has all been computerized, or so they say). This type still list parents.
13. My birth certificate (apostille, translation)

Missing: GGM birth, GM birth

I'll post how it goes in about a week.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NYC apt next week- here is what I have

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If NYC stays true to form, you will not need 4, 8, 11, or the two missing birth certificates.

I look forward to hearing the results of your appointment. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PS: Did you fill out Forms 1, 2, 3, and 4 - found at the bottom of this page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exe ... =Published

Unless NYC has changed, they will want a Form 3 for each of your deceased direct-line ancestors and a Form 4 for each living direct-line ancestor. The living ancestors (your father? grandfather?) must sign the form in front of a notary public and then the form must be notarized. For the deceased ancestors, you complete the form and then sign it in front of the consular official.

You will also need a Form 2 for yourself. I have heard varying reports as to whether or not they still bother to collect Form 1.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

thanks for reminding me! I almost forgot that they need to be notarized
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Good luck! I am curious to hear what they'll have to say about the "extract" of the marriage. (This was the issue that was in the news with Barack Obama since Hawaii apparently only provides extracts for birth records.) And since everything else sounds so well documented, do they really need it at all?
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

It went well. I will post a new thread with details when I have a chance.