Research location in Italy - Piedimonte di Matese (Alife)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
FnGal2No

Research location in Italy - Piedimonte di Matese (Alife)

Post by FnGal2No »

I have hit a wall with my family genealogy and will be traveling to Italy at the end of June. We are planning on visiting one of the villages that my family came from. It was called Piedimonte di Alife and I understand that today it is called Piedimonte di Matese.

Where can I go to look up my ancestor's information while I am in Italy? Is there an Archive in Naples or Caserta or a church in the village?

Thank you for your feedback to my question.

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Research location in Italy - Piedimonte di Matese (Alife

Post by suanj »

Hi, by ancestry.com ( required pay subscription), the civil records of Piedimonte Matese ( ex Piedimonte d'Alife) are on line: births & marriages( 1866-1910),deaths( 1866-1928)-marriage banns (1873-1910 and enclosures; in Italy the civil records of Piedimonte Matese are availables, free, in Caserta Archive of State, in Caserta town; in the Town Hall the records are no availables for the public, just you can ask the civil certificates, providing all data; abt the church, also the church records are no availables to public....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FnGal2No

Post by FnGal2No »

Hi Suanj,

Thank you for your response to my inquiry. I pay the subscription at Ancestry.com. How do I get to the civil records for Piedimonte Matese (ex Piedimonte d'Alife)?

Do you know the address of the the Caserta Archive of State?

Do you recommend that I go to the Town Hall and ask for the civil information?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Tammy here the link for civil records
Caserta, Campania, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1862-1939

http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1893
you choose the province( caserta) and the town (piedimonte Matese) and the civil record as a well the year that you are interested...
in Piedimonte Matese birth index are normally in the last page of any year...
however is easy..
abt Caserta Archive here the webpage and the address:
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... me=CASERTA
but personally I believe that to search by ancestry.com is more easy...
In the Town Hall you can request the civil certificates; the civil records officer cannot make genealogic search, but it can relay the civil certificates, if the person provide right data.... for to relay the certificates abt old civil records, the civil records officer need of a bit of days, because it must try in old registries in Commune Archive... I believe that if you have no the data abt your ancestors the search by ancestry.com is very helpful,
regards,
suanj

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FnGal2No

Post by FnGal2No »

Thank you again Suanj. I found the civil records for the births and I am paging through them all, only during the years that I know of my Great Grandparents birth year.

I am unable to find my Great Grandparent's birth certificate. My Great Grandmother's name was Tommasina Raiano born July 9, 1982. She married Raffealo Bottini born December 4, 1984.

It would be neat to be able to trace their parents. I only have their parents first and last names, no birthdates. Tommasina's parents were Andrew Raiano and Teresa Macchiarelli. Raffealo's parents were Silvestro Bottini and Rosa Fragola.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

FnGal2No wrote:Thank you again Suanj. I found the civil records for the births and I am paging through them all, only during the years that I know of my Great Grandparents birth year.

I am unable to find my Great Grandparent's birth certificate. My Great Grandmother's name was Tommasina Raiano born July 9, 1982. She married Raffealo Bottini born December 4, 1984.

It would be neat to be able to trace their parents. I only have their parents first and last names, no birthdates. Tommasina's parents were Andrew Raiano and Teresa Macchiarelli. Raffealo's parents were Silvestro Bottini and Rosa Fragola.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy maybe you mean 1882 and 1884 as birthyears...
However I no found your Tommasina birth in Piedimonte Matese from 1878 to 1884; I searched in 1892 and nothing... the 1891 birth registry lacking .. in 1890 only a Maria Raiano..

and abt Raffaele Bottino I searched in 1884 births and I no found it... ditto for 1893 and 1894; so I searched almost the arrival in USA
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0201%2ETIF
and I found that your ancestor was born in Alife and not Piedimonte d'Alife! they are 2 different communes!
So I found Raffaele Bottini birth:
ancestry.com link http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... gskw=&cr=1
Raffele Bottini birth act image http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59 ... birth.jpg/

In Alife 1892 no birth record of Tommasina Raiano, but in 1891 I found the birth record
ancestry.com link http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... gskw=&cr=1
Tommasina birth act image http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... birth.jpg/

Raffaele and Tommasina was born in Alife and married in Alife, why you said Piedimonte d'Alife( Piedimonte Matese)?????
for your other inquiries you must search in Alife and not in Piedimonte Matese; it are no index so you must search sheet for sheet...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FnGal2No

Post by FnGal2No »

Oops, sorry the dates should be in the 1800's. So sorry. It looks like you did find the information on my grandparents. Thank you for the clarification on the town. Someone told my Father Piedimonte d'Alife. Now I underestand there are two different places.

Can you tell me where Alife is? We are going to Italy at the end of June and we were going to go to Piedimonte Matese but now we are mistaken.

I just found Raffeale's birth information and I see that his town was called Alife.

Thank you for finding Tomassina's and helping me clear up where my family is from.

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Alife is near Piedimonte Matese( ex Piedimonte d'Alife); very close:
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=alif ... a=N&tab=wl
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FnGal2No

Post by FnGal2No »

suanj wrote:Alife is near Piedimonte Matese( ex Piedimonte d'Alife); very close:
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=alif ... a=N&tab=wl
suanj
Suanj,

I can not thank you enough for responding to me regarding my family genealogy. I figured out how to look up the birth certificate information at Ancestry.com and found a lot of information. It is also teaching me how to read Italian.

On one of my family's BC it said he is deceased and is in Alife. How do I find out where he is buried?

Another question: Marianna Bottini DOB 17 December 1869 was listed as having a Father Raffaele son of Silvestro and a mother Maria Sista Rajano daughter of I think said San Pietro. Are these people related to my Raffaele Bottini, who was born in 1894?

Thank you for your help with this. Is there a better email for me to use rather than this forum?

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi abt the burial it is hard, because in Italy only who is no owner of the gravestone, or of a own chapel in the cemetery, well after a number of years, the body is removed and normally put in the charnel house; however I know not Alife cemetery.. abt your other inquiry I know not if Marianna is a relative of your Raffaele, because for to know abt that needing of to make a genealogic tree...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FnGal2No

Post by FnGal2No »

Suanj,

I wanted to send you an update. I visited Italy and had a wonderful time. I can't wait to go back. Thank you so much for helping me find the civil records for Alife on Ancestry.com. The information that I found on Ancectry.com was incredible. I wrote down the street addresses where my Great Grandmother and her siblings were born. When visiting Alife, we went to the actual address and guess what!? A family member still lives there. Unbelievable! We went to Alife's cementary and many of my family members are buried there. I didn't have too much time there so I wasn't able to do a lot of research. I have to go back.

In my findings at the cementary there was a Lucia Tartaglione born 1911 who was married to Michele DeMartinis born 1906. I am trying to figure out how Lucia was connected to my Great Grand Uncle Lucantonio Raiano born 1875. Her Mother was Giovanna Rivetti and was married to Lucantonio. Lucia's father's name was Tommaso Tartaglione. I wonder if Tomasso passed when Lucia was very young.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Tammy
Tammy in the USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
happy for your good time in Italy! The Italy is wonderful...!

abt Lucia Tartaglione it is a bit hard, because needing of to make all genealogic trees of this peoples..
I believe that with a bit of patience and by Ancestry.com (Alife civil records) you will find the connection..
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
stevemilano2

Post by stevemilano2 »

I too am looking to research family in Piedimonte D'Alife (Piedimonte Matese)
Thank you both for the information on these posts.

I hope to make it to Italy soon.

My family names are Milano and Uberto
matesino

Post by matesino »

Family Tartaglia from Piedimonte d'Alife
http://pm2010.altervista.org/emigrazioneslide.htm