Translation and Apostille, or Translation OF Apostille?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Translation and Apostille, or Translation OF Apostille?

Post by williamsburger »

I have a lovely Italian lawyer in New York City willing to provide me with translations of all my documents at a reasonable price. In order for him to get started, I was wondering:

1. Should I pay to have non-direct ancestors' documentation translated?
2. Do only the documents need translations, or should I also have the apostilles translated as well?

Thank you!
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Translation and Apostille, or Translation OF Apostille?

Post by jennabet »

Non-direct line documents do not get filed with the other family papers in the ancestral comune so they do not have to be translated. Apostiles do not require translations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

Jennabet, thanks so much for the quick answer! I'm glad I can cut down on the number of translations I'll be paying for.

I don't know what jurisdiction your documents came from, but all of my New York City birth and death certificates came with a "Letter of Exemplification." Do you happen to know if that needs to be translated, or is that really considered more part of the apostille.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Williamsburger, my docs are from Niagara Falls and didn't include a letter of exemplification so I'm not familiar with whether or not it would need to be translated.