No record certification from PA Health Dept.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

No record certification from PA Health Dept.

Post by Squigy »

I recently received my great grandfather's birth certificate from the PA Health Dept (which I ordered MONTHS ago). Only problem is, it's not his birth cert, it says above the record "NO RECORD CERTIFICATION". My understanding is, this means he his parents didn't register his birth (not surprising) and the Health Dept. issued the certification based on other records (Social Security, death, etc)? Will the consulate accept this?? I'm applying in Houston, by the way.

P.S.

One thing that disturbs me is, the certificate has all the information EXACTLY as I gave it - no Americanized names or anything! Did they just copy the info??
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
TPower5514

Re: No record certification from PA Health Dept.

Post by TPower5514 »

Hi,

I applied for a dual Citizenship....took 2 yrs to do...they want everything in long form with a seal...need all birth/marriage cert...."Long Form" only....the same with your own documents.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It is difficult to say without seeing the document. It sounds as though they are certifying that no record could be found using the information you provied; this doesn't mean that a record does not exist, only that no record exists which meets the exact details (name, dob, etc) requested.

You may want to give them a call and discuss further. If this is a direct-line person, the consulate is not going to let you off the hook for a missing birth certificate. When you talk to Pennsylvania vital records again, ask what will be required to have them create a "delayed birth record." From their website:
What should I do if I have received a No Record Certification?

We suggest you present the No Record Certification with other documentation supporting your birth facts to the agency requesting proof of your birth. If you wish, however, you may file a Delayed Birth Certificate with the Division of Vital Records. To proceed, it will be necessary for you to return the No Record Certification you received to the Division of Vital Records and request the forms and instructions to file a Delayed Birth Certificate. You may call (724) 598-2284 if you require further information.

What will be required to file a Delayed Birth Certificate?

It will be necessary for you to submit two documents. Each document must be at least five years of age and include the exact name at birth, date of birth, and place of birth. This information must be in agreement with the information provided on the Delayed Birth Certificate form.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... s/610832#K
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

johnnyonthespot wrote:It is difficult to say without seeing the document. It sounds as though they are certifying that no record could be found using the information you provied; this doesn't mean that a record does not exist, only that no record exists which meets the exact details (name, dob, etc) requested.

You may want to give them a call and discuss further. If this is a direct-line person, the consulate is not going to let you off the hook for a missing birth certificate. When you talk to Pennsylvania vital records again, ask what will be required to have them create a "delayed birth record." From their website:
What should I do if I have received a No Record Certification?

We suggest you present the No Record Certification with other documentation supporting your birth facts to the agency requesting proof of your birth. If you wish, however, you may file a Delayed Birth Certificate with the Division of Vital Records. To proceed, it will be necessary for you to return the No Record Certification you received to the Division of Vital Records and request the forms and instructions to file a Delayed Birth Certificate. You may call (724) 598-2284 if you require further information.

What will be required to file a Delayed Birth Certificate?

It will be necessary for you to submit two documents. Each document must be at least five years of age and include the exact name at birth, date of birth, and place of birth. This information must be in agreement with the information provided on the Delayed Birth Certificate form.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... s/610832#K
Carmine, attached is a scanned copy of the document (as you can see, it got a bit banged up on the journey).

Yes, it is a direct line. I was afraid I might have to do that (get a delayed birth cert). Well, if I do, just another bump in the road :wink:
Attachments
Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (297.68 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
My Italian surnames:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I suggest you start working on finding whatever is necessary to get a delayed birth certificate created. I have never heard of a consulate accepting anything other than a government issued birth certificate for a direct line person. Occasionally someone tries a baptismal certificate and gets shot down immediately.

But, hey, anything is possible on this earth. Worst case, you bring this no records certificate to the consulate and see what happens. Best case, you get a delayed birth certificate created.

PS: For this part, "Each document must be at least five years of age and include the exact name at birth, date of birth, and place of birth.," one good source is often the local schools that the person might have attended; I have seen cases where states accepted such documents. Other options are a baptismal certificate, passport application, draft registration card, or military service records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Another great option: his social security application. See http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm for info on how to order a copy.

Social Security Death Index about Andrew Maietta
Name: Andrew Maietta
SSN: 191-05-4172
Born: 28 Feb 1909
Died: 5 Jul 1990
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)
Carmine

Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Okay. I'll try and get a delayed birth cert. Do you think his death record and baptism record would be enough to apply for one? Because, I want to do this when I'm up in PA, and there won't be enough time to get his Social Security Aplication, and other than those three documents, I can't think of another place where he'd be recorded!

Oh! I have another document, his father's naturalization record (which lists him as Andrea) would that suit?
My Italian surnames:

ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Lucky me, I just received the same letter of "No Record Certification" for my direct line grandfather and like you, panic has set in. I am going to try the delayed birth certificate. Do you think a death record and SS record would be enough for the delayed birth record? Frustrated. PA Vital Record also did not provide me with marriage record I requested and paid for..gonna be a long phone day tomorrow.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Just an F.Y.I. I have so many "no record of birth and/or marriage" from various states such as New York, New Jersey and also Pennsylvania. Some from counties and some from the State Archives. But, I kept writing listing another possible county they may have been born or married in. I eventually located the records I was requesting. Many were mispelled, different birth dates than what I thought I knew, etc. I ended up with only one record that needed to be reconstructed based on baptism, SS, naturalization and other records.

I know you are seemingly in a time crunch because of your appointment but I would not stop trying to find those needed records. :wink:

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa