Turn around time for Certification/Passport @Philly

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Turn around time for Certification/Passport @Philly

Post by ericataylor22 »

Does anyone know the average turnaround time for certification and passport from the Philly Consulate? I have a Feb. 2012 appointment, but start school in Rome at the end of August 2012. I would like to be in Rome prior to Ferragusto though to get settled in, etc.
belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Turn around time for Certification/Passport @Philly

Post by belmoro19 »

Hi Erica,
My appointment in philly was February 1 ,2011. I recieved my letter of recognition of citizenship in April 4. Very fast I thought but was happy. When I inquired about passport I was told I had to wait for my Italian birth certificate then bring that into the consulate to get passport. I still have not recieved my birth certificate. I think it really does depend on the comune and howfast they process everything. I hope this gives some kind of idea. I do have to say the Lia is wonderful and very professional. Good luck to you.
Buona fortuna
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Some consulates will expedite a case if you show them convincing evidence that you plan to move to Italy upon approval. They may even exert some influence over the comune to see that your documents are registered quickly and birth certificate issued.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Thank you both for the answers and I am looking forward to meeting Lia.=-) I am currently in VA and have to go to Philly for all this, so I want to try and limit the travel and the time necessary, especially since I have the start of school to consider.

That brings up another question I had. For the birth certicate in italy, do you get to pick your comune or does it go back to the ancestor's comune of birth?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The few people who have reported trying to "pick their comune" were told absolutely not possible - your documents will be registered in the comune of your Italian ancestor.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Works for me. Just hadn't come across anything online about how that worked. I like the idea of being from Sicily! =-)