NYC appointment this past week

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

NYC appointment this past week

Post by rgaetano »

Hi all, so overall my appointment this last week in NYC went well. I am applying GGF-GF-F-Me. I went with my father and we both went together without a problem even though we had appointments that were scheduled back to back. I didn't catch the guys name and felt awkward asking what it was at the end. I have to fix 3 easy things, schedule a follow up, and I should be good (or so I was told).

First two problems: when I went to get the apostilles the day before my appointment, there was a problem - I couldn't get the apostilles for my father's BC, nor my own BC because although they were certified with a county stamp, they did not have the Count Clerk's signature. Instead they had the signature of the county registrar or health commissioner. I had thought they only needed somebody from the county office with the county stamp.

He didn't want any photocopies (I had them paper clipped to all documents).
Here is what he asked for, in order:

GGF Birth certificate: I had both estratto and certificato, he gave me back the certificato di nascita and kept the estratto.
GGF Naturalization: I had several documents from USCIS and county courts (some duplicate documents) . this even included alien registration card. he took them all.
GGM Birth certificate: I told him I wrote to comume but never got a response, and we moved on.
GGF+M Marriage: accepted no questions
GGF Death: accepted no questions
GGM Death: I had it, but he did not ask for it

GF BC: this document had two errors (see previous post). My letter from the town clerk (with certification, apsotille, translation) seemed to work, as it was accepted with no questions or comments (!!!)
GM BC: I was asked for this, but when I said I didn't have it because I needed a court order for it, he replied "Court order!?" and then moved on without further comments.
GF+M Marriage: accepted no questions
GF Death: accepted no questions
GM Death: I had it, but he did not ask for it

F Birth: needs apostille
M Birth: he only wanted a photocopy, and may have taken translation as well (can't remember)
F+M marriage: I was only able to get a "transcript copy" from the local town clerk. He said I need to get the long form from the State. I had a letter from the county clerk saying this is all the give out. This wasn't good enough, and it needs to be long form from the State. I should have realized that I (my parents) could have gotten this from the state, but overlooked it.

My birth: needs apostille

And that's that. It should be very easy to get the two BC apostilled, and my father can easily get his marriage certificate in long form from the state. Overall it went well and was more relaxed than I had imagined. It seemed pretty serious in the beginning, but as it went on he made small jokes and even a little small talk here and there and overall was friendly. He said once I get this done, to email for a follow up, and that only my father had to come back for the second appointment. All the documents were returned to us (all the ones without problems were stapled together in a large pile with the forms).

Questions
1. is there any chance that during my 2nd visit problems from previously accepted documents can arise, or I am really in the clear?
2. when you email for the follow up, how soon are the available appointments?
Thanks everyone for the help through this! I started working on this a little less than a year ago.
mler
Master
Master

Re: NYC appointment this past week

Post by mler »

Of course, anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely that the accepted documents will be questioned at your next meeting. I don't know how quickly the appointment system works for follow-ups by e-mail, I would guess that you will not have to wait too long.

That your interview became more relaxed toward the end seems a good sign that the interviewer looked favorably on your application. Looks like things went very well. :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

that's great news. in that case, i would highly recommend that people try to get letters from clerks clarifying errors in documents that require court orders to amend. i'm not sure, however, if all clerks will be willing to write such a letter.
TPower5514

Post by TPower5514 »

Hi,

It took me about 2 years from start to finish to get my dual-citizenship to Italy....who did you have your appt. with Rita? They are real big on those seals and mostly everything in long form....I am in NY also....did you need to come here or are you local?

If there is anything that I can try to help with let me know...

Debbie :D
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Debbie,
thanks for the offer for help, it should be pretty straight forward from here. I didn't catch the name of the officer, but it wasn't Rita, it was the man whose desk is the Northern one out of the four desks in the office.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Sounds as though your appointment went well! It also sounds as if you had Tony handle your case. He also did not offer his name, i had to ask. He was very focused on all the documents and translations.
Once you have your new documents submitted you'll be good!
Congrats