New laws putting a generation limit?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

New laws putting a generation limit?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I spoke to someone who works very closely with the consulate and it seems the citizenship laws are in the process of changing or just changed. He says both parts of the parliament approved it only to go out as far as 2nd generation. Anyone know about this or if its happened yet?
mler
Master
Master

Re: New laws putting a generation limit?

Post by mler »

I haven't heard of any such proposal, let alone parliamentary approval. There has been talk of citizenship law changes from time to time, but Italian law changes slowly. I doubt very much that this is in effect or soon to go into effect.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There has been in place for some time now a "2nd degree" limit for people seeking expedited naturalization. Persons with a grandparent (2nd degree) who was born with Italian citizenship but lost it (through naturalization or marriage, for example) can reside in Italy legally for just 3 years and apply for citizenship; those who cannot meet this test must live in Italy for a full 10 years before applying.

Perhaps this is being confused with jure sanguinis law?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

The man is already a citizen and is close with the Philly consulate. I clarified with him this morning what he meant. There IS going to be a change in the citizenship eligibility laws. It will only extend to children and grandchildren (this is similar to people requesting citizenship through Irish descent) Both chambers of parliament approved it but the bill still has to be passed.Im sure its as Emily stated though...the laws change slowly over there. But its something to keep an eye out for. Especially for the newcomers here who have to wait a year and a half to get in to their appointment. Anybody who is considering applying better jump on board now. I read a similar article in an Italian-American magazine that said its just a matter of time before the laws are changed and the "doors closed"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Reading those laws is like reading chinese. Or maybe I just need my morning cup of espresso lol!!
LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoveJesus22 »

DeFilippis78....You Mean i can't apply for citizenship through My GM ?....My Father (Her Son) Must apply first then Me through my Father...but i can't apply directly from my Grandmother ?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

LoveJesus22 wrote:DeFilippis78....You Mean i can't apply for citizenship through My GM ?....My Father (Her Son) Must apply first then Me through my Father...but i can't apply directly from my Grandmother ?
This is a POSSIBLE new law that MIGHT take place. But it hasnt happened or been approved yet. So dont worry!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

And, father MUST have been born on or after January 1, 1948.

Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the male line; in this case, father would not gain Italian citizenship from his mother unless he was born on/after that date.
Carmine

LoveJesus22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoveJesus22 »

Yes I Know Carmine....But let us say that this law is established....So am i considered as 2nd or 3rd Generation ??...Plus if i'm a 3rd Generation so i'm out of the process even if my father took the citizenship or in this case i will be a 2nd generation for my Father ??..
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

LoveJesus22 wrote:Yes I Know Carmine....But let us say that this law is established....So am i considered as 2nd or 3rd Generation ??...Plus if i'm a 3rd Generation so i'm out of the process even if my father took the citizenship or in this case i will be a 2nd generation for my Father ??..
1st generation is the children and 2nd generation is the grandchildren. 3rd generation is great-grandchildren.If your father is a citizen already you could apply under him
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLATom »

This will crush a lot of people's dreams if this goes through. I'm 4th generation, and have more french than Italian blood, but have always considered myself a true Italian. When the letter came in the mail recognizing me as an Italian citizen, I was overwhelmed. My wife and I have changed the entire course of our lives due to being recognized.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well we should all keep our eyes open and pay attention to the laws as they change. Id hate to see someone waste so much time and energy on it just to have the law change mid-process. Im lucky my appt is this week and got in under the wire. But Ive been at it for a year and a half. I would have been crushed if this law came into place months ago.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I honestly don't think that there is any need for concern. I've tried and tried, but I can find nothing to indicate a possible change in requirements for jure sanguinis candidates. The changes in the citizenship laws that have been proposed seem to be directed toward those who would be eligible for naturalization, and even this may not happen.

Keep in mind that we are never applying through a grandparent or a greatgrandparent. We can ONLY apply through a parent, who is eligible through his parent, who is eligible through his parent, etc. And, yes, if a generational limit is ever imposed, your living parent would need to apply first if you trace your line to a greatgrandparent.

Italian citizenship laws have changed several times since 1861 and may possibly change again. No sense in speculating now, though. If this kind of change were even close to becoming law, it would have been well publicized.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I think a generational limit should and will be added setting it up so that a descendant cannot apply through a great-grandparent. Reason being is that the third generation are likely to be people still young enough to be in the work force and there already are not enough jobs in Italy for people of that age who were born in Italy and have always lived there and Italian citizens would not be interested in paying taxes to support even more citizens of that age who have become a burden on the state because they can't find a job. In nearly all first generation cases, the applicants are retired or near retirement and don't need jobs as they guaranteed income from other sources and are not likely to become a burden on the state. Many second generation are also in that category or approaching that category. Italy has to do what's right for Italy. The third generation can always apply in the future after the second generation has been recognized.