Philadelphia passenger list for SS Ancona 1912

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Philadelphia passenger list for SS Ancona 1912

Post by alm »

I'm looking for a list of passengers arriving in Philadelphia on the SS Ancona on Aug 28 1912. I believe the shipped originated in Palermo, stopped in Naples and Genoa to pick up passengers, dropped some off in New York on Aug 26, and then continued on to Philadelphia where my grandfather disembarked.

The EllisIsland.org passenger lists for SS Ancona arrival in Aug 1912 does not list him. But I have his Immigration and Naturalization papers that indicate he did arrive in Philly on the Ancona on August 28, 1912. Does EllisIsland.org only list those passengers who disembarked in NY? Are Philadelphia lists available anywhere?

Thank you in advance.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Philadelphia passenger list for SS Ancona 1912

Post by pink67 »

Yes,
the (payment) site Ancestry.com has online the Philadelphia Passenger List 1800-1945.

What is the name you're researching?

Laura
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Thank you, Laura. His name was Marcucci, Luigi

He was traveling with an aunt and uncle -- I don't know their names but I'd like to (I'm not even sure if they were Marcucci also)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

alm wrote:Thank you, Laura. His name was Marcucci, Luigi

He was traveling with an aunt and uncle -- I don't know their names but I'd like to (I'm not even sure if they were Marcucci also)
The Ancona's manifest into Philadelphia on Aug 28, 1912 is 64 (double) pages long. I scanned through all 32 left-side sheets and did not find any name that even remotely looked like Luigi Marcucci.

I do see several Luigi Marcucci's who arrived on other ships in other years. If you can give me a year of birth for Luigi, I may be able to match him up with one of these other sailings.

His mother's maiden name would be helpful as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi all,

the record is on the site Ancestry.com under this name:

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945
about Luigi Marencci

Name: Luigi Marencci
Arrival Date: 28 Aug 1912
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Ancona
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Stepano Marencci
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Ropatcatina, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_105

this is the link
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... sk=&pgoff=

but I'm unable to send the image on this pc... Carmine, could you please so kind to public the manifest here? thank you..

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

pink67 wrote: but I'm unable to send the image on this pc... Carmine, could you please so kind to public the manifest here? thank you..

Laura
Sure; here you go:

On line 5 - it does look a bit like Marcucci...

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Grazie Carmine, my notebook has the vista system and it doesn't allow me to save images from the web (I believe for security)... I just changed the pc with the old one...

So,Luigi Marcucci, age 19, single farmlabourer from Ripateatina to Philadelphia. Luigi stated he was leaving in Ripateatina his father Giacinto, and was joining his uncle Stefano Marcucci living on Marshall Street.

Laura
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Laura and Carmine,

Thank you SO MUCH! * Non so come dire grazie! * According to my dad, Luigi came with his cousin Pete and uncle Stefano and his wife Maria. (As an aside, the family lore has always been that the family name was Marinucci or Marenucci when they arrived on the boat but the name got changed somehow -- I can see now that it was probably always Marcucci, and it was only on some typed-out lists that was it mistakenly transcribed as Marenucci)

Now I see Pete (Pietro) on line 4, though I cannot make out his last name. It looks to me like Stefano was already here and living on Marshall St. Any sign of Stefano Marcucci on the list? Or anyone who could be Pietro De L….'s parents traveling with Pietro and Luigi? It looks like family groups were processed together so maybe Luigi and Pietro came alone and Stefano was already here.

I think Luigi's mother's name was DiGuiseppi but I'll have to check on that. I've been to Ripa Teatina and I have some paperwork from there.

Thanks again!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you :D

I believe the correct last name for Pietro is Di Sipio...

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

alm wrote: I think Luigi's mother's name was DiGuiseppi but I'll have to check on that.

The correct spelling would be Di Giuseppe or possibly De Giuseppe. See http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... 20GIUSEPPE
Carmine

alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

Yes, sorry, I misspelled that.

Is Pietro's father's name listed as Pasquale?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Yes, Pietro's father was Pasquale...
Pietro arrived in NYC:

31 august 1912
Pietro Di Sipio, age 19, single, from Ripa Teatina, leaving there his father Pasquale to Philadelphia to join his uncle Stefano Marinucci living on Commercial street

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028
page 2:

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible Military Draft Cards for Pietro Di Sipio:

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Peter Disipio
Name: Peter Disipio
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1894
Birth Place: RI Patestino, Italy
Residence: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

nearest relative: Josephine Di Sipio, same address 717 Annin Street - Phila

image:
http://postimage.org/image/2r4d8qbk4/

Do you believe possible that Pietro was living in Maine at the time of the military enlistment for the WW1 (1917-1918)?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [/bi]
about Pietro Desipio
Name: Pietro Desipio
County: Kennebec
State: Maine
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 29 Jun 1894
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1653908
DraftBoard: 1

image:
http://postimage.org/image/2r5k8pcec/

Laura
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

pink67 wrote:Yes, Pietro's father was Pasquale...
Pietro arrived in NYC:

31 august 1912
Pietro Di Sipio, age 19, single, from Ripa Teatina, leaving there his father Pasquale to Philadelphia to join his uncle Stefano Marinucci living on Commercial street

Laura

But isn't that Pietro arriving in Philadelphia Aug 28 1912 along with Luigi? (Line 4)

My father says his uncle Pete eventually opened a pizza shop in Atlantic City. Maine doesn't ring a bell at all.
alm
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alm »

pink67 wrote:Yes, Pietro's father was Pasquale...
Pietro arrived in NYC:

31 august 1912

page 1:
page 2:

Laura

Also, Laura, doesn't the date on this manifest look like 1911? (Admittedly I don't have much experience reading this old manifests)

I wonder if Pietro came over in 1911, then went back to Italy in 1912 to visit his parents, then came back with his cousin Luigi.

Also it seems clear that the family story we always heard that Luigi came with Stefano is not right. Stefano was apparently already here.