Help with handwriting on a Foglio di Familglia

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Giappone

Help with handwriting on a Foglio di Familglia

Post by Giappone »

I received a "certificazione di stato di famiglia" the other day from Comune di Atina in Frosinone.
I've figured out the bulk of what it says but there are a few names I can read for the life of me.

This is what I can read, with "?"'s in locations where I can't deciper the letters.

COGNOME NOME PATERNITA COGNOME E NOME Realazione PROFESSIONE LUOGO
DELLA MADRE di parentela…

Di Vito Domenico Antonio di ?????? di De ????? ???? Cf (capo famiglia?) Contandino Atina
Iafrate Af????ta di ????ella or illo di S????elli ????? Moglie (?) Sora

Any help with this would be eternally appreciated.
If you can help out and, for some reason, you need something translated from Japanese into English (and then into Italian by someone else) please let me know as I do it professionally.

The image looks too big to fit on screen but if you open it in a new tab or window in your browser you can see the whole thing.

Grazie!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help with handwriting on a Foglio di Familglia

Post by Italysearcher »

I am amazed! Atina is not great at responding to requests and those books are HUGE. Photocopying them is the fastest way to destroy them.
The name is Di Vito Domenicoantonio and Iafrate Assunta.
I couldn't get the thing to open in a new window.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This might work better:

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Across each line...

DiVito Domenicantonio of Mario(?) and of Palma DePasquale, male, head of family, peasant farmer, born in Atina, 19 May 1890

Iafrate Assunta of Francesco and of Pasqua Lavarelli(?), female, wife, no occ., born in Sora, 17 August 1891

Thanks for the upload, Carmine :-)

T.
Giappone

Post by Giappone »

Italysearcher, johnnyonthespot, Tessa78 - thank you so much for your quick and amazing help! I'm enternally grateful. Italysearcher, I notice that you live in Sora just like my great grandmother. What kind of town is it??

Tessa78, for the name of "Assunta" is it because of the double-s that the first letter after "A" descends like that? I though it was an "f".

I couldn't find anything on the name "Lavarelli". Could it by chance by Savarelli or Savanelli? The first letter kind of looks like the "S" in "Sora".

Thanks again. You've have helped me learn something very important about my family on my mother's side.

By the way, the office in Comune di Atina responded very quickly. I did write in broken Italian but maybe they appreciated that. I faxed what they required and within 2 weeks they mailed a copy of the registry. I thought it would take months to be honest and can imagine the weightlifting exercise those books must be.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I see the following:

DiVito Domenicantonio of Marco and Palma DePasquale
Iafrate Assunta of Francesco and Pasqua Lucarelli
John Armellino
Giappone

Post by Giappone »

John - thanks to you, too, for your help on this! I can see "Lucarelli" now that I look. I guess it's a common Italian name.

Lucky I found this forum - I was going to write their office and ask what it said.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi all :-)

Yes, I would agree with "Marco" and "Lucarelli" -

The handwritten "s" in Italian script can be tricky and often looks like an "f"... maybe this site can help you -
http://script.byu.edu/italian1/en/welcome.aspx

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Lucarelli is definitely a Sora name. Sora is a town of about 30,000 pop. today nestled in a valley and surrounded by mountains. You might enjoy my bok, which does give soe history but is also the story of my life over 10 years of living with my Italian family. Things here change slowly, it is like living in the past some days!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Giappone

Post by Giappone »

Tessa78 - thanks, I want to learn to read the handwriting better myself. What I learned in this thread will help a lot.

Italysearcher (Ann), thanks for the snapshot impression of Sora. Your book sounds interesting. Hope to visit both Atina and Sora in the future.