Death record - Giuseppe DiVona

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Death record - Giuseppe DiVona

Post by bkworm10 »

Does this death record mention Giuseppe's wife? On his son's death record (included in the processetti as well), it says his mother is non cafta (unknown?). His son wasn't that old when he died (40-something), so I'm surprised it says his mother is unknown. So I was amazed that Giuseppe (whose wife is unknown) and he was 80 when he died, has both parents listed! I can't find his wife's name, but I can find both of his parents. Anwyay, just wondering if I'm missing his wife's name in this document:

http://postimage.org/image/1pv61t69w/

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Death record - Giuseppe DiVona

Post by Tessa78 »

As you say, Giuseppe's age (80) and parents Nicola [diVona] and Antonia Bartilemo(SP?), are mentioned. The parents are usually mentioned before a spouse on the death record (primarily to assist in identifying the individual) - but I don't see a wife mentioned.
However, the last 4-5 lines are much harder to read, so maybe there is something there that I can't see.

Do you have a birth record for his son?
or only the death record...

T.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

I don't know if I do. I don't as part of the processetti, because Giuseppe is the grandfather of the groom. But I may have Giuseppe's son's birth record elsewhere. I just found out these ancestors names in the past week, so I may have his birth record on my Accettura births microfilm. I will have to check.

There is a name mentioned on the bottom left of this document, but I don't know what it says preceding it. It may be just the witness's name.

I think the wife's name is Antonia Bartilucci.
Thanks, Tess!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, it may be Bartilucci as you say :-)

What is the name of Giuseppe's son (whose death record you have)?
Can you give other details of the son? or siblings?

T.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

His son is Francesco DiVona and he married Maria Giuseppa Cifuni. I can post his death certificate. Let me upload it... I do not know if he has other siblings yet as I just discovered this new line last week when I found his daughter's (Isabella DiVona - my 3G-grandmother) processetti.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Tess,

The first image is Francesco's death record (Giuseppe's son). The second image is a closeup of the bottom of Giuseppe's death record, if that might help you read the bottom part easier.

http://postimage.org/image/t0yqhlqc/

http://postimage.org/image/t10e0y84/

If you can't read the bottom part of Francesco's death record, I have that broken up into 2 larger parts as well. I could post that as well.

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You have probably already translated the death record, but here is what I see...

I couldn't quite read the year - 18??
Before the official appeared Pietro Lacovara(SP?), 60, laborer, residing in Casanuove; and Giovanni Dazzi(SP?), 60, peasant farmer, to declare that on 24 August at noon died, in his house, Francesco diVona, 40, peasant farmer, born in Accettura, residing in Casanuove, son of deceased Giuseppe, unknown mother.

The rest looks like standard language which speaks of the testimony of witnesses to the above mentioned date and time, and the signing of the record by the official.
The notation on the left looks like it was put there when the record was requested for his daughter's marriage.
It looks very similar to the language at the bottom of Giuseppe's death record.
The notation on the bottom left of Giuseppe's death record could have been made when the record was requested for Francesco's marriage.

It should be noted that Francesco's wife wasn't mentioned on the death record either. May have been common at the time in that comune.

T.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks Tess. No, I had not had the time to translate it yet, so thank you. I take about 600-700 photos every time I go to the FHC and so I basically just look at the names mentioned quickly, if they are my direct line, I add them to my ancestry chart. Then once I rename all the files, and file them, I go back and translate my direct ancestors first and then work out from there. But I was particularly interested in this line, because it's been my hardest (and my last line) to trace back. I don't know if you remember my other posts, but Isabella DiVona is Carmela Gioscia's mother (recall you were the one to find Carmela's ship record with her 3 daughters) and I am having a very hard time finding anything out about Carmela! But now I have her parents processetti and when her parents married all but one of their parents had died. So I got lucky with the processetti and had lots of death records to look through.

Yes, maybe that was common at that time to not mention the wife. When I find Isabella's siblings, hopefully their records will have different information.

Thanks!
divone D

Post by divone D »

bkworm10 wrote: 18 Jun 2011, 02:45 Tess,

The first image is Francesco's death record (Giuseppe's son). The second image is a closeup of the bottom of Giuseppe's death record, if that might help you read the bottom part easier.

http://postimage.org/image/t0yqhlqc/

http://postimage.org/image/t10e0y84/

If you can't read the bottom part of Francesco's death record, I have that broken up into 2 larger parts as well. I could post that as well.

Thanks!
I belive Guiseppe divona's wife was Margherita Prospera Dilorenzo
1759–1829
BIRTH ABT 1759 • Italy

DEATH 17 MAY 1829 • Accettura, Matera, Basilicata, Italy

4th great-grandmother Add MyTreeTags™