NOT Italian, but I REALLY need some help! Thank you!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

NOT Italian, but I REALLY need some help! Thank you!

Post by LeandraCat »

Hi everyone!

I am very sorry to post NON-ITALIAN stuff, but you are always so great at helping me, I just don't know where else to go.

I have been pulling my hair out, trying to find Census Records for my great-great-grandmother's brother, in Minnesota. It's like the man did not exist!

Here is what I WAS able to find:

1913 - Galveston, Texas Manifest for YEHUDA JOSEF BORODKIN, born around 1882, farmer, coming from Trilesye, Kiev gubernia, Ukraine. Left behind is his wife, looks like HENIA Borodkin, but very hard to read her first name. There is no second page for the manifest, either that or they only scanned the left side of the ledger and I don't know how to get the other half. The Texas Seaport Museum's online index says Josef was traveling to Minneapolis, but no relative given.

1915 - Minneapolis City Directory for JOSEPH BORODKIN, a Cooper by profession - 561 8th Avenue North, Minneapolis. I looked at this street and there is no number 561 in the 1910 Census. Perhaps it was a store?

1917-1918 - World War I Draft Card for JOSEPH BOROTKIN, a Cooper, born 1885. Residing at 914 Girard Avenue North, Minneapolis. Employer: L. Bernstein at 914 Girard Avenue North, Minneapolis. Nearest relative: ANNIE BOROTKEN, KIEV, RUSSIA. Now this is where it gets weird. First, I DID find Louis Bernstein in 1920 AND 1930 living at 914 Girard Avenue North in Minneapolis. There is no sign of Joseph Borodkin. Second, why would he list the nearest relative as someone who is not even living in the US? I have never seen that before...

And this brings me to 1936. Joseph Borodkin tombstone at FindAGrave.com
He was buried at United Hebrew Brotherhood Cemetery in Richfield, Minnesota. The Minnesota death index online says he died in St. Cloud, which is STEARNS county.

I am in the process of ordering his death certificate and I also asked an obituary lookup volunteer to see if there is an obituary for him.

In the meantime, I am just going nuts. I called the Cemetery and they have nothing to tell me. The tombstone looks very "fancy", a bit TOO fancy for someone who was just a Cooper and didn't even have a place of his own to live!
I don't see a manifest for a Henia or Annie Borodkin coming to the US...I don't know if she EVER came here.

If anyone can find some additional information for me, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you so much!
Julia
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: NOT Italian, but I REALLY need some help! Thank you!

Post by Michael31 »

www.castlegarden.org
DETAILS

JOSEF BOROTKIN
FIRST NAME RELATIVE LEFT BEHIND
LAST NAME NAME OF RELATIVE LEFT BEHIND
OCCUPATION ADDRESS OF RELATIVE LEFT BEHIND
AGE TICKET
SEX PAID BY
LITERACY IN THE US BEFORE
SHIP IN THE US WHEN
ARRIVED IN THE US WHERE
COUNTRY GOING TO SOMEONE IN THE US
PORT OF DEPARTURE RELATIONSHIP TO THAT SOMEONE IN THE US
PLACE OF LAST RESIDENCE NAME OF RELATIVE IN THE US
PROVINCE OF LAST RESIDENCE
CITY OR VILLAGE OF DESTINATION ADDRESS OF RELATIVE IN THE US
PLAN CITY OF RELATIVE IN THE US
PASSAGE COUNTRY OF BIRTH
MONEY PLACE OF BIRTH
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.castlegarden.org
LAST NAME FIRST NAME AGE SEX ARRIVAL DATE PLACE OF LAST RESIDENCE
BOROTKIN MARCUS 23 M 2 Feb 1888 U
BOROTKIN GOLDE 28 F 14 Aug 1891 U
BOROTKIN JOSEF 1 M 14 Aug 1891 U
BOROTKIN MARIA 4 F 14 Aug 1891 U
BOROTKIN SCHIFE 3 F 14 Aug 1891 U
BOROTKIN LEIBE 26 M 11 Mar 1904 RIGA

Josef Borotkin age 1
ship Rotterdam
Arrived 14 Aug 1891
Country russia
Port of departure Amsterdam
destination New York
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Thank you but this is not him.
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Irishinamerica »

About Annie Henia, I think maybe you should try "Yenia." I studied Russian(which is admittedly not Ukrainian) in college and for a last name I see that being more plausible.

If it really for sure was "Henina" there is a possibility that the person on the ship spelled the name similar to what it would've looked like in Ukrainian -- which would be 'Хеніа.' So it might even be spelled 'Xenia' on a ship manifest.

But I would think it most likely that the surname was probably 'Yenia' or "Yenina."

I hope this helps!
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LeandraCat »

Henia would have been a first name...it said Henia Borotkin. Thank though!
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Irishinamerica »

My mistake -- re-reading it again I see what you mean!

I hope you find her!