Need Help with Marriage Records Translations

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Need Help with Marriage Records Translations

Post by lbernard3 »

Hi-
Recently I have discovered that my g-grandfather's mother (Rosaria Robilotta) might have come to the States before he was married. Possibly even leaving her husband in Italy. I went back to my ggf's marriage record to try and find something to confirm this. I think I have found something at the bottom of the Atti and the Pubblicazione referring to his mother and I am hoping for some help translating it.

Thank you.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9407 ... azione.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/918/atti.jpg
Researching family surnames are Bernardo/Robilotta from Gallicchio, Basilicata.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need Help with Marriage Records Translations

Post by lbernard3 »

If you have an Ancestry.com account, below are the URLs for the complete records. I don't know if you will need to see the whole record in order to understand the context of the notes at the bottoms of the records. Their names were/are Donato Bernardo and Mariantonia Robilotta.

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... pid=680530

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... pid=680935

Thank you.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Below is what I have transcribed so far. I am not sure that I have all of the words correctly. It comes from the first link (the Pubblicazione) the first link in the preceding post.

It appears that is says there is some "discorde" with the mother (Rosaria) of the groom. What does this mean in early 1900s Italy or what can I infer from this? Divorce? Separation?

Any help would be appreciated?

I documenti sono: le copie degli atti di nascita de gli sposi, rilasciate de questo ufficio della stata civile in data odierna - E` altresi comparso Luigi Bernardo padre della sposa il quala di li consenso per contrarre il richiesto matrimonio , e dichiarato che per essere in ciò discorde la moglie fu Rosaria Robilotta non e qui comparsa

Letto il presente atto a tutti gli intervenuti si sano meco sottoscritto il padre dello sposo ed i testimoni soltanto, per essere gli spesi analfabeti
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Documents are copies of the acts of birth of the bride and the groom, issued by the civil office today also appeared Luigi Bernardo father of the bride to consent to the marriage the wife was Rosaria Robilotta was not there in appearance.Father Luigi Bernardo signed the act and the rest were iliterate

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Marty-
Thank you for responding. Since I have no understanding of the Italian language, the context and syntax is beyond me. I read in an Italian genealogy book that the use of "fua" before the parent's name meant that they were deceased. Is this not always the case?

I was wondering about specifically about the part where it stated "per essere in cio discorde fua Rosaria Robilotta non e qui comparsa"

Lou B.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The year 1899 the 28th of September at the hour of 9 :25 AM in the Town Hall before me Prospero Monte Officer of the town of Gallichio appeared Donato Bernardo age 18 farmer, resident of Gallichio, son of Luigi Bernardo age 48 farmer, resident of Gallichio son of Rosaria Robilotta farmer, resident of Gallichio. and , Maria Antonia Robilotta age 23 farmer, resident of Gallichio, daughter of Giuesppe Robilotta farmer, daughter of Rosa Vanero farmer living in Gallichio.

They have requested me to make the publication of marriage in this office which they intend to celebrate, these newlyweds Donato Bernardo and Maria Antonia Robilotta and they have declared that the groom was born in Gallichio the bride in Gallichio They do not have an adoptive father or adoptive mother, there are not any impediments of relationship or affinity obstructing their marriage, nor any impediment according to the law. These declarations are verified by taking an oath in the legal form from, Antonio Arcomeno age 60 city guard, and Michele Renna age 49 storekeeper, both residing in the town, witnesses present at the act. I examined the documents presented to me and provided my approval, inserteds in the volume of annexed records to this register, declaring that the publication will be made in. Gallichio .The father of Donato Bernardo was present and signed the act Rosaria Robilotta was not present the witnesses signed the act as the civil official
Not sure about the spelling of Rosa Vanero??
Look for the terms defunto, del fu, del morte, vedova vedovo (widows) for persons that are deceased
Heres some info for you on reading records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Thank you for your help in translating the document. My mistake was reading "sua" as "fua"

"Not sure about the spelling of Rosa Vanero??"
Her name was Rosa Vomero.

It says the Rosaria was not present. Do you know how common this was? Is there anyway to tell why? Specifically this sentence intrigues me, "per essere in cio discorde sua Rosaria Robilotta non e qui comparsa"

What are your thoughts?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The word discorde means discordant or inharmonious you know maybe possible she disapproved of the marriage because of the age difference Donato being younger than Maria or family problems
Giuesspe is deceased on the marriage record di fu Giuesppe
er essere in cio discorde sua Rosaria Robilotta non e qui comparsa" Being in discordant she didnot appear.

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did you check to see if Maria Antonia was with Donato Bernardo's child in 1900 maybe that was the case. Did they come to the US?

Marty

Marty
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Marty-
They both came to live to the US in 1901. Their first child was born in 1903. I don't know if anyone was born before that in Italy.

Here is what I am hypothesizing:
Both Donato and Maria came to the US in 1901 and on the manifest they said they were going to see an Uncle Filippo. In the 1910 Census they were living with a man named Philip Bowers. The census said that Donato was PB step son. I have tracked down PB-and his real name is Filippo Bavusi. On the 1900 Census, PB said he was married to Roser Bowers (spelled that way on the census). She said she immigrated in 1897. Based on the census data, her age and some Castle Garden info., I believe her to be this Rosaria Robilotta. If it is her, that would mean she left Italy 2 years before Donato and Maria were married-leaving her husband back in Italy. BTW, Rosaria is both Donato's mom, and Maria's aunt. If she moved here to live with Philip Bowers, in a sense he would be Donato's step dad. PB also sold 2 pieces of property (houses and all) to Donato and Maria for $1 each. This usually means they were family to him. Both PB and RB are buried in a county cemetery in Pennsylvania together.

With this scenario in mind, I am wondering if the meaning of the word "discorde" meant that she wasn't around because she left for the US? or they were really pissed off at her? or does it just mean she was the one with the issues twd. the bride.

I am still waiting for the death record for Philip Bowers/Bavusi to see if it mentions anything about Rose. I am not sure of RB death date, we can't seem to find any info. on it.

I know it is a lot of supposition. The puzzle is slowly being put together, though.

Thx.