Translating Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Translating Records

Post by autumn4680 »

Hello everyone!

I have a death record that I need translated. It's all hand written, so it's extra difficult for me to decipher on my own. Your help is much appreciated!

Grazie!
Michelle

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1433 ... th1871.jpg
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Translating Records

Post by autumn4680 »

Sorry, I need Carmela Grasso's record translated. Starts on bottom left, continues onto top right :-)

Thanks!
Michelle
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It looks like in this register was entered the information of the death of Carmella Grasso received from another town...

The actual record of death begins at the top of the second page...

On 17 January 1871 at 9 PM in Marsicovetere before the official appeared Pasquale Biannelli/Biaccelli(SP?), son of deceased Francesco, age 40; and Domenicantonio Bove, son of deceased Giuseppe, age 51; both peasant farmers, to declare that on 16 January @ 8 PM died Carmella Grasso, daughter of deceased Augustale and of deceased Rosa Valle(sp?); widow of Francesco Masini (sp?); age 45.

T.
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Post by autumn4680 »

Oh, Tessa, you are wonderful! This record is a gem. It not only gets me a generation further back in my tree, but suggests my family's roots stemmed in a neighboring town, which I had suspected. Milla Grazie!

Carmella Grasso and her husband Francesco Masini I believe lived in Marsico Nuovo, where I found this record. Their son most certainly settled and raised his family in Marsico Nuovo. Do you have any idea why they might register her death in this town?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

[quote="autumn4680"]Oh, Tessa, you are wonderful! This record is a gem. It not only gets me a generation further back in my tree, but suggests my family's roots stemmed in a neighboring town, which I had suspected. Milla Grazie!

Carmella Grasso and her husband Francesco Masini I believe lived in Marsico Nuovo, where I found this record. Their son most certainly settled and raised his family in Marsico Nuovo. Do you have any idea why they might register her death in this town?[/quote]

Probably where she died...

T.
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Post by autumn4680 »

Ah, ok. :-) To clarify, does the age 45 refer to Carmella?

Thanks so much!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

autumn4680 wrote:Ah, ok. :-) To clarify, does the age 45 refer to Carmella?

Thanks so much!

Yes, Carmella was 45 years old - and a widow... :(

T.