Help with translation of a 1868 birth record.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Help with translation of a 1868 birth record.

Post by MascheroniBR »

Hello Everyone!

Recently I managed to get a copy of my GGM's birth record, dated from 1868!
I would really appreciate if someone helped me translating it into english!
It's a big document, but I'm looking forward to get a full translation. :P
This is really important to me!

Here's the link to the document:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/86 ... lavel.png/

Here's the link for my genealogy quest thread in the main forum:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic20882.html

Thank you all in advance!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help with translation of a 1868 birth record.

Post by adelfio »

Theres no link on imageshack nothing there are you copying and pasting the direct link

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Try it now!! I think I copied the wrong URL! Sorry!

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/4091 ... alavel.png
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I still cant get the record from imageshack you try it from your last message

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

That's weird Marty!! I asked a friend to browse the forum and he could see the picture! Maybe regional restricions... :?

Anyway, I uploaded the file to a private server! Now you should be able to see the document! :D

http://www.skidrowbr.com/images/attonas ... alavel.png

Otherwise, I could send to you via e-mail!

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I think Marty is having trouble because of the picture format you saved it in (png versus jpg) :-)

The image opened for me, but went directly to Photoshop instead of my default viewer...

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Sorry for the late response, here's the link for the same file in a standard format (jpg)!
Now it should work! :D

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7725 ... alavel.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

On 5 March 1868 at noon before the official at the town hall appeared Angelo Lavelli, son of Francesco and deceased Angela Rocca, age 32, a peasant farmer born and residing in the town; to present a female child born on the 4th of March of the current year at 10 PM to his wife Celestina Criggia(sp?), and to whom they gave the name Angela Maria.
Witnesses to this presentation were:
Giuseppe Lavelli, son of deceased Paolo and of Teresa Garanzou(sp?), age 45; and Angelo Piranova, son of Francesco and of Catterina Carita, age 43.

Right column notes the marriage of Angela Maria on 5 January 1890 to Francesco Gaetano Mascheroni...

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Tessa78 wrote:On 5 March 1868 at noon before the official at the town hall appeared Angelo Lavelli, son of Francesco and deceased Angela Rocca, age 32, a peasant farmer born and residing in the town; to present a female child born on the 4th of March of the current year at 10 PM to his wife Celestina Criggia(sp?), and to whom they gave the name Angela Maria.
Giuseppe Lavelli, son of deceased Paolo and of Teresa Garanzou(sp?), age 45; and Angelo Piranova, son of Francesco and of Catterina Carita, age 43.

Right column notes the marriage of Angela Maria on 5 January 1890 to Francesco Gaetano Mascheroni...

T.
Wonderfull Tessa!!!!

I managed to get names for my GGGGF and mother!!! Thats incredible!!
Sorry for my ignorance, but waht do you mean by "sp" after some names? :oops:

Any more important info on the doc?? I mean.. Celestina Criggia birth date and place? The names of Celestina's parents were not listed??
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

MascheroniBR wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:On 5 March 1868 at noon before the official at the town hall appeared Angelo Lavelli, son of Francesco and deceased Angela Rocca, age 32, a peasant farmer born and residing in the town; to present a female child born on the 4th of March of the current year at 10 PM to his wife Celestina Criggia(sp?), and to whom they gave the name Angela Maria.

T.
Wonderfull Tessa!!!!

I managed to get names for my GGGGF and mother!!! Thats incredible!!

Any more important info on the doc?? I mean.. Celestina Criggia birth date and place? The names of Celestina's parents were not listed??

I believe the surnames are slightly different so Angela Maria's mother is Celestina CRIPPA.
The first witness' mother is Teresa GUAZZONI.
The second witness is Angelo PIROVANO and his mother is Catterina CARITA' (with accent on the last A).
All these surnames are quite common in the area.

Sorry but there aren't parents, date and place of birth for Celestina. The only thing I can add is that Angelo and Celestina's house was located in Beverate, a rural area just out of town but still part of Brivio.

Ada
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The "sp" indicates that I was not sure of the spelling :-(

However, Ada has clarified the proper spelling for you :-D

T.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

So, witnesses were:

Giuseppe Lavelli
Angelo Pirovano

No information on their relationship with the family? I mean... Giuseppe was probably the child`s uncle I presume... Angelo, no idea!! :lol:

I'll try locating Brivio's Parish Priest in order to at least try finding a marriage document from Celestina Crippa and Francesco Lavelli... is it a good call?? :!:
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

MascheroniBR wrote:So, witnesses were:

Giuseppe Lavelli
Angelo Pirovano

No information on their relationship with the family? I mean... Giuseppe was probably the child`s uncle I presume... Angelo, no idea!! :lol:

I'll try locating Brivio's Parish Priest in order to at least try finding a marriage document from Celestina Crippa and Francesco Lavelli... is it a good call?? :!:
Giuseppe could not be the child's uncle. To be so, he had to be the father's brother. As you can see Angelo Lavelli and Giuseppe Lavelli had different parents....
Witnesses could be relatives or just friends. If there was a relationship with the family this was usually not mentioned.

There is a church in Brivio and one in Beverate di Brivio. The Priest is the same for both and these are the addresses:

Molto Reverendo Don Nando Gatti
PARROCCHIA SS. SISINIO MARTIRIO ED ALESSANDRO
Via SS. Patroni
23883 BRIVIO (LC)
Italy

Molto Reverendo Don Nando Gatti
PARROCCHIA SS. MARGHERITA E SIMPLICIANO (Beverate di Brivio)
Via G. Prinetti, 14
23883 BRIVIO (LC)
Italy

or

e-mail: donnando@brivioebeverate.it

Good luck!

Ada
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

uantiti wrote:
MascheroniBR wrote: No information on their relationship with the family? I mean... Giuseppe was probably the child`s uncle I presume... Angelo, no idea!! :lol:
OMG i got confused with the names!! :oops: LOL!! Sorry, of course they couldn` t be brothers!! :mrgreen:

I`ll try reaching the priest via e-mail first... I managed to get a prompt reply from Cairate`s Parish Priest, they air mailed me Baptism and Marriage Records from my GGF, Mascheroni Gaetano, who was married with the Child described on this very thread, Lavelli Angela! :D

Thanks a lot, your help is much appreciated!!! :wink:
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

MascheroniBR wrote:
Thanks a lot, your help is much appreciated!!! :wink:
You are welcome! Hope you'll get a prompt answer :D

Ada