Surname: Mini from Carini, Sicily

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname: Mini from Carini, Sicily

Post by JamesBianco »

Here's Leonardo Mini's parents marriage from the Church:

5 July 1885
Giuseppe Mini son of Leonardo Mini & Antonina Namio
married
Rosalia di Falco, daughter of Andrea di Falco & Benedetta Taormina

Mini is a VERY rare name in Carini at this time.

Jim :)
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Wow!! :P :P :P :P

Truly- the icing on the cake!!

She's gonna love this document!

mfjp

oops ... THESE documentS!!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Here is the Church marriage of Leonardo's grandfather and namesake:

30 Nov 1844
Leonardo Mini, son of Vincenzo Mini & Giuseppa Galati
married
Antonina Naimo, daughter of Giuseppe Naimo & Rosa Lo Grasso

This is your direct male Mini line backward:
--------------------------------------
I am missing the actual images from 1797-1808 but here is the information on Vincenzo:
Vincenzo Mini, son of Leonardo Mini & Orsola Ruffino
Married 1807
Giuseppa Galati, dau of Francesco Galati & Eulalia Lo Duca

--------------------------------------
then:

26 September 1773
Leonardo Mini, son of Vincenzo Mini & Francesca Altadonna
married
Orsola Ruffino, dau of Antonino & Antonina Gambino

then:

3 Feb 1743
Vincenzo Mini, son of Leonardo Mini & Catherina Guercia/o
married
Francesca Altadonna, dau of Antonino Altadonna & Antonina

Then:

Part 1

Part 2

25 September 1695
Leonardo Mini, son of Francesco Mini & Giovanna
married Catherina Guercia, daughter of Damiano & Francesca Guercia

Then:

14 November 1666
Francesco Mini, son of Leonardo Mini & Vincenza
married
Giovanna di Stefano, dau of Geronimo di Stefano & Vincenza

Then:

21 Jan 1620
Leonardo Mini, son of Vincenzo Mini & Violanta
married
Vincenza di Cristina, daughter of Pietro di Cristina & Lauria

Then: (and finally)

11 May 1586
Vincenzo Mini of Carini married Violanta, daughter of Geronimo & Carmefina Casali of Carini

If you ever wanted to trace the maternal lines, you can find on my site
The Carini Exchange
the original marriage documents and extractions from 1568-1808

Hope you enjoy!
Jim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

I don't have any information to contribute, but do have a question. Leonardo and Francesca Mini were born, married and died in Italy. Their children were all born in Italy.

You wrote "The 3 remaining kids then each came here on their own when they were old enough. I know my father was 15 when he finally made it here. But they were born US citizens, so they had to get here before a certain age or lose their citizenship."

How would the children have been born US citizens if they were born in Italy and their father, Leonardo was a citizen of Italy?

Perhaps, I misunderstood what you wrote. I am curious how the children would be citizens as I interpreted what you wrote.

James, wonderful you had so many marriage documents to share.

Debbie
minibutt

Post by minibutt »

Hi Debbie,
Ok here is the story....My grandfather stayed in the US enough years to become a US citizen. Therefore, by him being a US citizen, any of children born after that would automatically be recognized as US citizens. But they would have to come to the US before they turned 18 in order to retain that citizenship. Hope that cleared that up for you!
Lisa (Mini) Sawyer
minibutt

Post by minibutt »

Jim, thank you so much for those documents! I cannot wait to share them with my father! Now, I know you said you have all marriage licenses up until 1891. Where would I obtain licenses after that time? Because mfjp (maria) sent me the ship's manifest from Leonardo's first trip to the US and it is indicated on that manifest that he is travelling with his brother-in-law, Giambanco. My father said that he didnt have any brother-in-laws, because Leonardo only had one sibling, Salvatore (that we know of) and now sisters. And he wasn't married to My father's mother, Francesca until much later. So now we are wondering if there was another marriage by Leonardo that we are unaware of. What do you think?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Wanted to clarify what you said, as alot of people read these forums and I wouldn't want anyone mislead on citizenship issues.

So, Leornardo was in the US enough years to qualify for citizenship. Do you mean he filed the papers and became a naturalized American citizen? If so do you have his naturalization papers. They contain alot of useful information. No one becomes a citizen just by years in residence.

Debbie
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Just so you know, Leonardo was going to see Nunzio Giambanco.
about the marriages...
For anything past 1910 you would have to write to Carini, I have available up to 1910 at my local Family History Center, but only have to the end of 1890 here at home. If he was born in 1889 it is possible his first marriage could have occurred in 1909 or 1910. I will have to look Saturday when I am there next.

This is really bizarre, on October 18, 1912, two Nunzio Giambanco's came together to Ellis Island.

One was 20 and the son of a Giovanni of Carini, going to visit his brother in law Leonardo Mini of 260C Woodbridge St. Detroit.

the other, was 23, and the son of a Salvatore of Carini, going to visit his cousin Epifanio La Fata, ALSO of 260c Woodbridge St. Detroit.

Both Nunzio's were single, so a brother in law could only mean the husband of their sister. (unless he lied..that's another issue)
Notice that in 1910, when Leonardo Mini arrives in Boston he is single.
How could he be the brother in law of another single man???? Unless Leonardo had a sister married to one of Nunzio's brothers...
Unfortunately Giambanco at this time was the most common name in Carini. In my marriage indexes for the 1880-1899 time frame there is one on almost every other page.

Here are the images for the 1912 manifest:

Page 1

Page 2

Jim
minibutt

Post by minibutt »

Debbie,
Yes, Leonardo applied for and received his naturalization papers. I do have a copy of those. And yes, they were full of useful information. I appreciate your interest and your inputs! Thank you all so much!

Lisa
Lisa (Mini) Sawyer
minibutt

Post by minibutt »

Jim,
You truly amaze me with the information you find! I do know that Leonardo lived with a group of men from Italy who lived in Detroit. I believe they may have been working for the railroad at the time. And I also believe that they basically were doing the same thing as Leonardo, trying to earn their naturalization papers, then later trying to save money to bring families here.
My father is not aware of his father (Leonardo) having any sisters. He always thought that there was only just the one brother. Unfortunately my father was only 8 when both of parents died, so he was too young to remember any pertinent information!
Lisa (Mini) Sawyer
suerussomanno

Post by suerussomanno »

This information is great! Thank you so much. I hope I can find some US records, too.