I recently located the birth record for Sabino Gentile born 1874. I new about the marriages but the confusion comes with the death date. He would have been 120 yrs old if he died in 1995. If it is 1895 that is not possible either. His last child was born 1925.
His grandfather also carried the name Sabino Gentile. When I search through the Torre Annuziata records I cannot locate the death record. I also searched in the Castellammare di Stabia records but again, no luck.
Maybe I am reading the dates wrong. Can someone take a look?
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7154/sab ... th1874.jpg
Thanks,
lilbees
Confused by death notation
Confused by death notation
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: Confused by death notation
Hi Lilbees,
I read that he died on 20 february 1951...
Laura
I read that he died on 20 february 1951...
Laura
Re: Confused by death notation
Some of the writing really gets to me. Would not have guessed on that date. Will see if I can find that record.
Thanks again Laura.
lilbees
Thanks again Laura.
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: Confused by death notation
Not too swift this morning. Of course, there are no records available for 1951. But, can you restate his birthdate. I have 12 Oct 1874?
lilbees
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Confused by death notation
It's true; the handwritten digit "1" for example often looks very much like an inverted "v" and can be mistaken for a carat or other symbol or even a slip of the pen. Combine with some of the strange (to Americans, anyway) abbreviation habits, and things can get really confusing.lilbees wrote:Some of the writing really gets to me.
For example, here it is not uncommon to drop the century part of a year such that 1951 becomes 51 or 2011 becomes 11, however I doubt it would ever occur to an American-English writer to drop only the millenium and write "951" for 1951 as seems to be the case in your document. Since we would never write it that way, it doesn't jump out at us even when staring us in the face.
I am also fond of 7bre, 8bre, 9bre, and 10bre (or xbre) as arrbeviations for September, Occtober, November, and December.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Confused by death notation
That is the correct date of birthlilbees wrote:Not too swift this morning. Of course, there are no records available for 1951. But, can you restate his birthdate. I have 12 Oct 1874?
lilbees
T.
Re: Confused by death notation
Thanks again Laura. Carmine, dropping the numbers get me always. Don't seem to mind the "9bre" attachment though.
lilbees
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa