What's the Occupation??

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

What's the Occupation??

Post by amerital43 »

Can anyone figure what the occupations are of the witnesses in the document pasted below? I just cannot make it out.
Also what is the last sentence of the document? I have it as: "Lette al presente agli intervenuti si persone meco--------- non il dichiarante che ---------?" I KNOW this is probably a very bad guess.
The document is from the Basilicata area. Thank you.

[img]file:///private/var/folders/i9/i9SXsrScEK48HO2QsGOHkk+++TI/TemporaryItems/Word%20Work%20File%20D_251253481.htm[/img]
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What's the Occupation??

Post by amerital43 »

Is the link showing correctly?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

No, it doesn't. It seems like a link to something on your PC.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Try using an image hosting site like http://postimage.org. Click the Browse button, locate the file on your PC, click "Family Safe" and then Upload.

After the file upload is complete, click the Copy To Clipboard button alongside "Thumbnail for Forums 1". Return to this forum and paste the link into your post.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

amerital43 wrote:Can anyone figure what the occupations are of the witnesses in the document pasted below? I just cannot make it out.
Also what is the last sentence of the document? I have it as: "Lette al presente agli intervenuti si persone meco--------- non il dichiarante che ---------?" I KNOW this is probably a very bad guess.
The document is from the Basilicata area. Thank you.

[img]file:///private/var/folders/i9/i9SXsrScEK48HO2QsGOHkk+++TI/TemporaryItems/Word%20Work%20File%20D_251253481.htm[/img]

The quote looks like a fairly common statement at the bottom of these records...
Basically, "the present act was read to all the participants and with me they signed, but not the declarant because he was unable to write." (I'm guessing at the missing words - but will verify when you post the image)

T.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Oh thank you Tessa on that guess anyway. I'd never read that little bit about the declarant. I have re-posted and the link is now working.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

amerital43 wrote:Oh thank you Tessa on that guess anyway. I'd never read that little bit about the declarant. I have re-posted and the link is now working.
You might also find this website helpful in reading records.
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/

T.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Thank you. I do browse that now & then. Usually I'm very good at reading the handwritings and figuring out those 'flourished' letters, but this one has me stumped.
Usually the final statement has read:

"Letto il presente atto gli intervenuti non si sono meco sottoscritto perche illiterati."

Much shorter than what's on this linked document. I guess it all depended on who was writing up the record.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

amerital43 wrote:Thank you. I do browse that now & then. Usually I'm very good at reading the handwritings and figuring out those 'flourished' letters, but this one has me stumped.
Usually the final statement has read:

"Letto il presente atto gli intervenuti non si sono meco sottoscritto perche illiterati."

Much shorter than what's on this linked document. I guess it all depended on who was writing up the record.

Had more to do with who was able and not able to sign the record :-)

What you have above indicates that no one signed below with him because they were illiterate. :-)

T.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

This is a Nascita, and the father of the baby gives testament of the birth. Yet the 2 witnesses have signed the document with the Sindaco but not the who the document relates to. I cannot post the entire document because it was given to me in over sized form. I am only having a problem translating the end line and the occupations of the witnesses. I can't figure those out. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen the record taker abbreviate 'Contadini' to 'Conti' because that is what it looks like?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

For what it is worth, the witnesses were not witnesses to the birth, but to the recording of the birth. They were random people who happened to be available at the moment - perhaps in the comune office for other reasons or even passersby, who would be called into service. Since few people could read and write, the comune official would read the completed act to all concerned and sign on their behalf.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Carmine,
Thanks for the explanation. I would hope all those men wouldn't be present while the lady was giving birth. lol. What about the last part I wrote, about the abbreviation?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

amerital43 wrote:Carmine,
Thanks for the explanation. I would hope all those men wouldn't be present while the lady was giving birth. lol. What about the last part I wrote, about the abbreviation?
Look carefully at the start of the next line. When nearing the end of a line, Italians often simply break a word without bothering with a hyphen, and in places that might seem odd to writers of English.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
amerital43 wrote:Carmine,
Look carefully at the start of the next line. When nearing the end of a line, Italians often simply break a word without bothering with a hyphen, and in places that might seem odd to writers of English.
Pig-backing on Carmine's information...
You will often see two small "underlines" at the end of a line where a word has been split.

T.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

I understand about the line breaks, I recently had a document where Vito was broken by Vi/to, but the occupations for the witnesses is stated right after their ages. I just can't make it out. That is why I'm asking for your assistance. That is why I asked if any of you have ever seen 'Contadini' abbreviated--not broken--'Conti'?