Records burned in Carpino

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Records burned in Carpino

Post by ericderrico »

Hi everyone,

I started asking questions related to the comune in Carpino, Puglia under the culture section, but as information came up, I figured newer questions deserved proper heading.

Italysearcher made note that many records in Carpino were lost due to fire during WW2. Some records may have been "redone" but not all if the person wasn't there to verify information.

I need to get my GGF's birth certificate from Italy (Pasquale D'Errico b. 16 June 1891 to Michele Vincenzo D'Errico and Antonia Maria D'Avolio), it literally is the LAST document I need as I have the naturalisation record and others state side. Unfortunately, Carpino hasn't gotten back with my first letter and I've just sent a second.

If the record is lost, how can I go about demonstrating my GGF's citizenship in Italy? If I go to the church, is there a recommended way of contacting them? I've had bad experience getting a response from Italian websites such as comunes and churches.

I also don't live nearby a family research center, so a trip to one would be a big deal if there is no record.

Thanks for the help!
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Records burned in Carpino

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Hi

so I thought I was in that same situation ! dont give up hope and read my forum thread!

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 18515.html

Military records and back up of civil records are available through some courts in italy and the archives of the province. Pay attention to ricbru and Johnnyonthespots posts and Mler! they gave very valuable advice.

good luck!
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

thanks! reading that was quite encouraging!

So if I keep getting no replies from Carpino, at what point should I go to the military records or even the stato di civile? It's been 4 months and I've just sent my second letter as well as email.
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

it wont hurt to do it right away just in case.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

Do you have a copy of the email you sent in Italian for the military records?
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

i live in Carpino
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

What is it with Communes always replying that their records were burned (and not always during the War)?
Several years back my ggf's comune wrote me that the records for the year I was searching burned many years previous. But then recently when I re-wrote the comune, and a new registrar was in place, the records rose like a Phoenix out of the ashes and materialized.
I seem to be having the same issue with the commune of my other ggf. I guess I have to wait another few years until the records somehow restore themselves.
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

I can help you...i live in Carpino
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Duplicate records are kept in the provincial archives. You can order them from there, they are not free like from the comune, and in my case it was a real pain, they wanted a money order in euros. Good luck with that one. But in any case you should ( with a little more difficulty ) get them.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Corrado,

the provincial archives, are these the court archives. I remember when I was facing this situation user Ricbru made that suggestion. it turns out a court has to order them to release it. is that the case?
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

CArpino's archives start from 1800....before there are church's documents
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

The province keeps these birth records too. You can obtain them from the province archives.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

What is the address for the provincial archives (puglia)? I am having trouble finding where I should write to.
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crono »

I do not know the existence of these archives
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if Carpino civil record office has not your grandfather birth record dated 1891, you can request a certified copy from Archivio di Stato di Foggia, that keeps the second copies of civil records of Foggia area, I hope it helps bye Riccardo