Writing to Relatives

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bemontanaro

Writing to Relatives

Post by bemontanaro »

I have done a bunch of research in anticipation of my summer trip to Italy and I have found a lot of background on the Montanaro's who first immigrated to this country (that I am related to, that is). I have also found a handful of Montanaro's in Vico del Gargano (the town we are from) on Pagine Bianche. I was going to write to them with prepaid return envelopes, but before I do, I would like to know any suggestions.

Obviously, I am being polite and courteous, but are there any specific, I guess "cultural" things I should be aware of when writing a letter?

In anyone's opinion, is there a chance it will be answered? How are such letters generally received?

Anything would be helpful.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Writing to Relatives

Post by juanminbar »

below you will find a letter that i sent to families in calabria. i sent to six families that may have been related to my cousin and included an envelope with her return address plus several dollars to cover the mailing cost.
it was less than 2 weeks when my cousin received a phone call from a first cousin. her father was the youngest and only surviver of the immediate family...it does work.

english
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maria Teresa Carella
111 Main Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 00000

Francesca Arvon
V. Gardini
89044 Rocella Ionica (RC)
Reggio Calabria
ITALY

Ciao, my name is Maria Teresa Carella. I am doing family research and trying to locate any relatives of our family that still reside in Italy. My father Antonino Carella emigrated to America at the age of 15 years old.
His parents were Carmelo Carella and Sebastiana Arvon. The civil records of his birth list Reggio Calabria, the comune of Roccella Ionica. Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Respectfully yours.

Maria Teresa Carella
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in italian

Ciao, il nome e Maria Teresa Carella. LO sto facendo ricerca di famiglia e sto tentando di localizzare alcunti parenti della nostra famiglia che ancora risiede in Italy. Ii mio padre Antonino Carella l'emigrated ad America all'eta di 15 anni vecchio. I suoi genitori erano Carmelo Carella e Sebastiana Arvon. Gli archivi civili della sua nascita elencano Reggio Calabria, il comune di Roccella Ionica. Alcune informazioni che Lei puo offrire sarebbero aumentate di valore.

Rispettosamente il Suo,

Maria Teresa Carella
Crono
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Writing to Relatives

Post by Crono »

hi, i live near Vico del Gargano...montanaro surname is diffused here...in Ischitella, Carpino...