Two Postcards

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JML77
Rookie
Rookie

Two Postcards

Post by JML77 »

I am new to this site and have come here in hopes that some of you out there would be kind enough to help translate some old Italian notes/records for my family. All of our Italian speakers have passed on, and I have not found the online translation tools to be efficient. Below are two brief postcards that I'd appreciate if someone could translate. Thank you.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/038gxh.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/044ua.jpg/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Two Postcards

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

The first postcard is Postmarked "Monte S. Angelo, Foggia"

It says:
"From the foot of the monument to the glorious archangel greetings and thoughts come to you. We prayed for you and for all devotees."

Signed "Giuseppe" (not sure if the other words are a title or a group "The Commission Campolieto and Compagni")

Footnote reads "Infinite regards to your brother Leonardo"

Some info on the comune and monument... (from wiki)
Monte Sant'Angelo as a town appeared only in the eleventh century. Between 1081 and 1103, Monte Sant'Angelo was the capital of a large Norman dominion under the control of Count Henry, who was a vassal of the Byzantine Empire. The grotto which houses the Sanctuary of Saint Michael the Archangel where according to legend, St. Michael appeared in 490, 492 and 493, has been the site of many famous pilgrimages, which started from Mont Saint Michel. Pope John Paul II visited the sanctuary in 1987.
T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Two Postcards

Post by Tessa78 »

The second postcard... (which does not look to have been mailed)
No punctuation there -

I wish you a Happy Easter and also to the family.
I send regards.

Your niece/grandaughter ("nipote" can be used for either),
Mary Raiona

T.