how many people can apply at once?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

how many people can apply at once?

Post by williamsburger »

The days tick by until my appointment at the Newark Consulate...I'm still waiting for a few document corrections, but thanks to this board I have had my confidence restored that I can go to the Consulate with them and then send any necessary corrections later.

My lineage is GGF -- GM -- M -- me, and I've done all the due diligence to make sure we qualify. Since my mother is still alive, she'll be accompanying me to the appointment, and she will be the primary applicant.

I was wondering, can I apply at the same time as her, or do I have to wait until her application goes through? My mother has two brothers who also would like dual citizenship; would they be able to submit their paperwork at the same time? Would they need to be present at our meeting?
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: how many people can apply at once?

Post by sforza »

Did you let them know you would be attending with your mother? I think it's a good idea to do so if you haven't already. When I attended with my parents, at the end of the appointment the official asked for my paperwork. Since I don't live in that jurisdiction, I told her I'd be submitting it elsewhere and then she told me how to do that. So, I think it will be OK to bring your paperwork even if you are not the primary applicant. The two brothers? That I don't know. But they would definitely have to be there for their paperwork to be considered. I just don't know if a pile-on like that w/out prior confirmation by the consulate would be allowed.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Newark does not take you into a special room for an interview. You apply at a counter. Four people at the window may not be a good idea especially if the appointment is for one. In essence, however, you are applying through your mother, so you continue the vertical line. I don't think they would mind adding your bc and your application to hers. Go with her to the window when her name is called, and be ready to submit your documents and application.

If they are willing, your uncles can go with you (with their paperwork), but they should not go to the window. (They will be able to observe what is happening from their seats.) It is possible, if they are not too busy and the process goes very smoothly, that they will accept your uncles' papers as well, but there is no guarantee of this.

Once you have completed your document submission, explain that your mother's brothers would also like to apply. If she is willing to accept their applications, too, they will be ready. If not, you can ask if they can make an appointment to come in again and what the procedure is to access your (and your mom's) file. It may also be possible, if your uncles are required to come in again, for them to bring in any updated documents that complete your file.

BTW, the consulate will not accept any application unless the applicant is present.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

If you do have them come without getting prior confirmation, they should be prepared for the possibility that they are not let in. When I went to Newark with my parents, I was on a list.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

When I set up the appointment for Philly I let them know it would be my mother, myself, and my 3 siblings and it does not seem to be an issue. I just got a call the other day from IPS Italy to confirm that there will be 5 of us. The guy also said that since everything is done electronically now, if all docs check out we could have our citizenship recognized within a few weeks. Pretty reassuring phone call for sure. Good luck!