D'Alimonte; Di Paolo family history help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aplomado7

D'Alimonte; Di Paolo family history help

Post by aplomado7 »

I am looking for help/advice on how to locate records of ancestors and/or living descendants in Italy.

What I have thus far is this:
Enrico D'Alimonte (my grandfather); born: March 15, 1895, Turrivalignani, IT; died: Feb. 1968, Windber, Pennsylvania; his parents were: Fabio D'Alimonte and Mary Di Paolo I am trying to find records of his parents (Fabio and Mary) as well as any siblings there might have been and any of their descendants.

Enrico arrived in the USA on the Duca d'Aosta, June 26, 1912; he departed from Naples; when he came through Ellis Island his record shows he was to meet with a brother Guiseppe D'Alimonte. Here is what I know about Guiseppe D'Alimonte born: April 8, 1878 (presume it to be Turrivalignani but not documented); died: Feb. 1977 in Torrington, Litchfield, Connecticut; he lived on Tracy Ave. in Torrington; was married and had children (Rico and ?) - I have no documents on these family members; I do not know Guiseppe's wife's name and I do not know where his children may have gone. (Nobody lives at the Tracy Ave. address I have.) Rico was living in Brooklyn according to family members. A letter I wrote there was returned. He may have died.

Constantine D'Alimonte was another brother of these two. I do not know his age or much else about him. I do know he assumed the name of Joseph Marno when he arrived in the USA. He died in Port Washington, NY. He was married to Giovanna Contato - she was from Naro, Sicily; she died about 1966 in Norwich, NY. They had two boys Angelo and Ernest Marno (both now deceased).

My grandfather once spoke of a sister but no family members know anything about her or if there were any other siblings. Where do I go from here? Is there a records office in Italy I can contact? Should I write the Church in Turrivalignani? (There is only one Catholic Chuch in Turri). Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Thanks also to the owners of this wonderful site! :)

aplomado7 aka Lester
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: D'Alimonte; Di Paolo family history help

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

I'll start with the Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Turrivalignani. However, it is limited. It goes from 1809-1865. So there is a good chance you might have to write to the town itself to get documents.

The microfilm can be ordered at your nearest Family History Center for about $3.50 a roll depending on your location. Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... eno=406227

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

In order to write to the town, here is their information.
Comune di Turrivalignani
Martiri Marcinelle 1 (piazza)
65020 TURRIVALIGNANI (PE)

Here is a link that will help you translate the letter.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Hope this helps for now.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

aplomado7 wrote: Enrico arrived in the USA on the Duca d'Aosta, June 26, 1912; he departed from Naples; when he came through Ellis Island his record shows he was to meet with a brother Guiseppe D'Alimonte. Here is what I know about Guiseppe D'Alimonte born: April 8, 1878 (presume it to be Turrivalignani but not documented); died: Feb. 1977 in Torrington, Litchfield, Connecticut; he lived on Tracy Ave. in Torrington; was married and had children (Rico and ?) - I have no documents on these family members; I do not know Guiseppe's wife's name and I do not know where his children may have gone. (Nobody lives at the Tracy Ave. address I have.) Rico was living in Brooklyn according to family members. A letter I wrote there was returned. He may have died.

aplomado7 aka Lester
Hi Lester,

Ok, this could be your Giuseppe in teh 1910 census. I know someone on the website will post the census for me. (thank you :) )

On the 1910 census, his wife is Margaret. It also states he is living with his brother, Paolo. Also, Margaret and Giuseppe were married for 8 years. Great clues when searching records.

Name: Giuseppe Dalimonte
Age in 1910: 32
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Home in 1910: Harwinton Twp, Litchfield, Connecticut
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: Harwinton Twp, Litchfield, Connecticut; Series: T624; Roll: 134; Page: 76B; Enumeration District: 255; Part: 3; Line: 28.

This is Giuseppes death information from Connecticut.

Name: GUISE DALIMONTE
Death Date: 16 February 1977
Death Place: Torrington, Connecticut
Birth Date: xxxYOB
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse: MARG
State File #: 04010
Residence: Torrington, Connecticut
Race: White

Here is Margaret's Death Information.

Name: MARGA DALIMONTE
Death Date: 29 March 1964
Death Place: Torrington, Litchfield, Connecticut
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: JOSE (for Joseph or Giuseppe)
State File #: 05889
Residence: Torrington, Litchfield, Connecticut

Just to let you know I've dealt with Litchfield pleanty of times. They are great people to work with if you are trying to get death certificates. The last time I got one, they were $5.00, but always double check if you are interested in getting one.

I'm searching for more information.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi again,

This is information on Paolo (Paul) and his wife in the 1920 census. Also, if you look right below them, you'll find Giuseppe and his wife, Margaret. The census isn't a good copy and probably why the couldn't make out Giuseppe's name. (one again, thank you for posting my census.)

Name: Paul Dalmonte
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Harwinton, Litchfield, Connecticut
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1905
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 107
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Harwinton, Litchfield, Connecticut; Roll: T625_186; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 192; Image: 107.

Paul seems to have changed his name, here is his death information.

Name: PAUL DELMONTE
Death Date: 27 September 1965
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse: CLOT
State File #: 18619

Paul (Paolo) wife.

Name: CLOTI DELMONTE
Death Date: 20 January 1962
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: PAOL
State File #: 01746

Hope this all helps.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
aplomado7

Post by aplomado7 »

:P THANK YOU, TRISH!!! I am indebted to you. I will have to follow up on this for the documentation. I was surprised that you found Paul. I didn't expect that. I had viewed the census data myself but I must have missed it! One of my living relatives thought there was a brother Paul but they weren't sure. Also, when I write to Turri, should I include some cash? Any idea how much would be enough? Should I buy IRCs for the return postage? THANK again!
Lester
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

aplomado7 wrote::P THANK YOU, TRISH!!! I am indebted to you. I will have to follow up on this for the documentation. I was surprised that you found Paul. I didn't expect that. I had viewed the census data myself but I must have missed it! One of my living relatives thought there was a brother Paul but they weren't sure. Also, when I write to Turri, should I include some cash? Any idea how much would be enough? Should I buy IRCs for the return postage? THANK again!
Lester
Hi Lester,

You don't need to send cash to Italy, but you should sent 2 International Reply Coupons. They cost about $1.80 at the Post Office.

However, there is microfilm for the town and since Giuseppe was born abt. 1879, there is a good chance you can get the parents Birth Acts from the microfilm especially since you have the parents' names.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nzahradka

Post by nzahradka »

Lester,
I am writing you because my grandfather recently sent me on a mission to find his relatives. The information he gave me was that their last name was DAlimonte. He said it was his uncle Pepi (short for Guiseppe?) and then he mentioned another relative named Rocco. We called my great grandma Joanne... My grandpa (last name: Nubile) is also from Turri... however, he said when he came over from Italy when he was about 15 (he just turned 75) this family was living in Philadelphia. Any chance you'd know if they lived in Philadelphia, PA and whether he was an engineer or not? I'm just trying to get started with the information my grandpa gave me. Please let me know if any of this sounds remotely familiar or not. Another last name that was mentioned was Palumbo...

Hope to hear from you.
aplomado7

Post by aplomado7 »

HI,
I'm not sure if there is a link here or not. There are Nubiles in our tree...Camillo, Guiseppe, Santa and Serafina...they date from 1820 to 1860s....Guiseppe Nubiles mother was Anna Emilia D'Alimonte born about 1835..no Joanne in my tree.....and nobody lived in Philly....I am familiar with a Palumbo family, but they are in Windber, Pennsylvania...