Dual Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tokioariii

Dual Citizenship

Post by tokioariii »

Hello, I'm in the very beginning stages of obtaining dual citizenship. Unfortunately neither my father or aunt have any papers of my late grandparents. I am trying to figure out if they were both (or just grandfather) naturalized after my father (Francesco Paolo Polizzi Sr.) was born in America in 1956. I know my grandparents came in the 1950s. My grandfather's name is Sebastiano Polizzi (from Palermo, Sicily) my grandmother's name is Maria Adriana Polizzi (maiden-Randazzo, also from Palermo) she died in January of 1998 in Washington state. My grandparents were married in Palermo before they came to New York.

My grandfather passed in Brooklyn (possibly Staten Island, NY) on February 9th, 1978. My mother claims he was 51 years old so I believe it would put his birth date around 1927.

Before I begin ordering papers I just want to know if anyone can help get me some dates of naturalization or whatnot. I appreciate any effort. Thank you.

-Alyssa Polizzi
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The real sweet spot for immigration records into the US is from early 1900 through the 1930's; before and after that range, the documents contain such little information as to be nearly useless.

This may be your grandfather's passenger manifest:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Sebastiano Polizzi
Name: Sebastiano Polizzi
Arrival Date: 8 May 1954
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Vulcania

Click once to enlarge; click again to magnify.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Sebastiano's Social security death record:

Social Security Death Index about Sebastian Polizzi
Name: Sebastian Polizzi
SSN: 066-30-8905
Last Residence: 10305 Staten Island, Richmond, New York, United States of America
Born: 31 Aug 1926
Died: Feb 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1953-1955)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Your grandfather's death certificate should contain a notation concerning his citizenship (I presume this was still being done in 1978...), however since this information is not verified and simply provided by the next of kin, it is sometimes in error.

If he did naturalize, he probably did so in a federal court as opposed to state or county. If this is the case, the National Archives should be able to find the records quickly and relatively inexpensively (compared to USCIS which is much slower and much more expensive).

Start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"

Be sure to request the "Certified Paper Copy" which will cost you a total of $22.50. Response time is often less than two weeks; and there is no charge if they do not locate the record.

When completing the order form, you may encounter fields which demand you enter something even though you don't have the information available; just put X's or 9's in those fields and continue; use the comment box at the bottom of the form for additional details. Be sure to give a valid daytime contact phone number as the archivist will often call in order to verify information or provide additional guidance.

If NARA fails to locate anything, you will need to order a USCIS record search. Start here and request an "Index Search" (https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/). If the Index Search turns up a citizenship file ("C" File), then you would follow up with a "Records Request" to obtain the actual documents.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Social Security Death Index about Maria Polizzi
Name: Maria Polizzi
SSN: 065-26-5271
Last Residence: 98239 Coupeville, Island, Washington, United States of America
Born: 18 Nov 1928
Died: 31 Jan 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Did your father teach language at Horace Greeley High School?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I am very curious about this one:

U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995 about Maria Polizzi
Name: Maria Polizzi
Birth Date: 18 Nov 1928 (same birth date as social security death index above)
Issue Date: 11 Nov 1954
State: New York
Locality, Court: Eastern District of New York, District Court

She did not naturalize after being in the US only a year or two; that just didn't happen. Did she emigrate much earlier than Sebastiano? Did they both arrive earlier than "the 1950's" as you stated in your post above?
Carmine

tokioariii

Post by tokioariii »

Thank you. Thank you so much this is more than I could have asked for.
The death certificate information is definitely correct. My mother can confirm the addresses and I appreciate you finding that information. I have placed an order for my grandfather's naturalization papers.

As for your last post with my Grandmother's naturalization card it does seem to be legitimate. My mother even says that the signature looks like hers. As far as I've always known they landed together in the 1950's but it is possible she came with her other siblings as well. If my grandfather was also naturalized in this time I believe it would make citizenship through jure sanguinis impossible since my father was born in 1956.

Either way I will pursue finding more information. Thank you very much. If there is anything else you feel may be of use please let me know.

Also, as far as I know, my father did not teach at that high school but I will ask to make sure.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Do you have any other info on your grandmother, Maria?

Name of either parent? Names of siblings?
Carmine

tokioariii

Post by tokioariii »

My mother is saying it may have been possible for my grandmother to have come earlier with her siblings.

As for her siblings there are many.
Teresa Randazzo
Rose Randazzo
Vicenzia Randazzo
Guiseppe or Joe Randazzo
Antonio Randazzo
Octavio Randazzo
(Francesco)Frank Randazzo

They were 8 total. All of them came from Sicily.

My mother has an idea of what her parents names may be. Since this was her mother in-law she is not 100% sure and I don't currently have the chance to ask my father about his parents. Her mother's names is (probably) Vita (or possibly Rosaria) Polizzi. Her father's name is Francesco Randazzo.

As you can see the family was pretty much all the same 2 maiden names. I guess that's Sicily for you.
tokioariii

Post by tokioariii »

I just also want to mention something my mother told me. My grandfather also had a cousin with the same name, Sebastiano Polizzi. The cousin married my grandmas sister, Teresa. So if anything comes up of a Sebastiano married to a Teresa Randazzo...that's his cousin. I hope it doesn't confuse anything. I am not sure if the landing info could be my grandfather's or his cousin but I used that information to request his naturalization papers anyways.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You can't be certain that your grandparents naturalized at the same time. Since your gm probably arrived in the US earlier than your gf, she may well have naturalized before him too. Jure sanguinis may still be an option.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The first post says the grandparents married in Palermo. I for one am not convinced. :)
Carmine

tokioariii

Post by tokioariii »

johnnyonthespot wrote:The first post says the grandparents married in Palermo. I for one am not convinced. :)
What do you mean? Do you think that they came together then?
tokioariii

Post by tokioariii »

mler wrote:You can't be certain that your grandparents naturalized at the same time. Since your gm probably arrived in the US earlier than your gf, she may well have naturalized before him too. Jure sanguinis may still be an option.
Thanks, that is what I am hoping for. Hopefully the papers I requested will have some good news =)