down to the wire!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

down to the wire!

Post by williamsburger »

I can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by....My appointment is next Tuesday (Aug 31) in Newark, and I'm biting my nails to make sure everything's all set.

The day before yesterday, I visited the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, to see if they could give me the status of a correction to my mother's birth certificate (she's in my direct line of descent). They informed me that although the correction had been made, the certificate itself wouldn't be sent out for another two weeks. Obviously, that's not going to work.

Tomorrow, my mother and I are going to go back downtown, bright and early, to see if she can walk in and purchase a copy of her birth certificate in person. If the corrections department is correct, it would seem that a new copy would have the change. This would allow us to go to the NYC City Clerk, where they've promised to correct a related error on her marriage license while we wait. At that point, it's just a matter of walking to the County Clerk and NY State Department for the apostille.

The only other thing I'm waiting on is Gabriella Einaga's translations. She promised these to me by the 29th, aka this Sunday.

Since most of my documents are from New York, can anyone tell me if it's possible to have the translations certified at the Italian Consulate while I wait? I'm perfectly willing to go there personally, give then Gabriella's translations, and pay whatever exorbitant fee they're charging -- in for a penny, etc -- but I'm concerned that they won't process the translations on the same day.

Oh gosh, I'm just all nerves, aren't I? Any advice/consolation/tips for doing well at Newark would be much appreciated.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: down to the wire!

Post by sceaminmonkey »

at the NYC Dep of health go in and ask to speak to Joe cordero or Edna timbers and let them know when the appointment is and see if anything can be done
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

oh and at the city clerks all marriage documents are corrected on the spot. so don't worry about that
stingray4051

Post by stingray4051 »

I hope you're able to get the NYC translations verified while you wait.. I got this email back from the NY consulate when I asked about verifications:

-----
1) come in at our Office - Monday through Friday except on Wednesdays from 9:00-12:00 - providing:
- original Long Form certificate legalized with Apostille and translation in Italian ;
- a prepaid envelope to return the documentation to you;
- the attached form filled out and signed by you.
(should you choose to have a representative to come in, please include a declaration stating the purpose of your request, with a copy of your passport).
On that day, you will be required to pay the legalization fees.
For security reasons, we would appreciate your indicating the date you have intention to come at our Consulate.

2) send in the documentation by mail, enclosing your statement with the purpose of your request, a copy of your passport, a credit card number to charge all the fees due for legalization and the form attached signed by you.
-------

I responded with a question about waiting for the certifications or coming back to pick them up (I don't like having to trust USPS/couriers) and they never got back to me. Let me know what happens when you go there.

Good luck on Tuesday!!

Ray (your 2nd cousin)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Ray,

Would it be possible to post the form that NY requires to be sent with the documents to be verified? I looked on their website but I did not see a form for verification of documents. I am in the same boat as my consulate wants me to have NY verify several documents. I also have to send documents to Newark, does anyone know if there process is the same as NY? Thanks.
stingray4051

Post by stingray4051 »

I don't know how to post attachments on here so I just copied and pasted it from the word document. If you want the actual .doc, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I, the undersigned…………………………………………………………………………

Born on………………………………………….in…………………………………………..

Residence………………………………………………………………………………………

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

holder I.D. no……………………………………….

issued by……………………………………………….

do hereby declare that I assume all responsibility for the mailing of my original documents.
I understand that the Consulate General of Italy in New York is NOT responsible for the loss or damage of my documents in transit.
I therefore wish for my documents to be mailed back to me via the pre-stamped envelope that I have provided including a photocopy.

Date

Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

This will work, thanks a million.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

No tips for the Newark consulate, but plenty of well wishes for your appointment on Tuesday. The staff in Newark are very nice, and more importantly, seem to be fair when evaluating your documentation. :D

As to the document that one must sign to release NYC from responsibility if original documentation somehow gets lost...that's completely understandable. However, applicants should also use the same practice and insist on a receipt for the documents that they turn in - both for authentication/legalization AND when they submit all of their original documents during their actual appointment. It is best to always obtain some sort of receipt. Applicants should also ask politely, but firmly for a written list of any/all discrepancies that consular officials find and want fixed in order to process an application. Never accept a verbal to-do list. (These documents are valuable and are the legal foundation for each citizenship application.) Stepping down from the soapbox now... :lol:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

williamsburger wrote:I can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by....My appointment is next Tuesday (Aug 31) in Newark, and I'm biting my nails to make sure everything's all set.
Well, what with today's hurricane and the general evacuations and shutdown of major transportation systems, I guess you had better call in advance to ensure the consulate is open for business and that the stato civile officials have made it into the office.

Bummer. :(
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

Oh my gosh, Ray, I was totally confused by your send-off until I realized who you were. Would you mind facebooking me with that form?

Thanks!

PS, when is your appointment!
stingray4051

Post by stingray4051 »

Haha yeah, I figured out who you were by your name "williamsburger" and your appointment date.. I remembered you said it was in late August. I still have to wait four months, mine is December 27th.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

williamsburger wrote:I can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by....My appointment is next Tuesday (Aug 31) in Newark, and I'm biting my nails to make sure everything's all set.

Dude! How did your appointment go??
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)