NYC Second Appt

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
taralynn125

NYC Second Appt

Post by taralynn125 »

I have a few questions about the NYC consulate. I had my initial appointment on June 6th, with a 90 day deadline to get everything in order. I had an incredible amount of things to do, including having documents validated in Boston, Edinburgh, and London. Unfortunately, I have not received the documents back from London and my 90 days is up September 6th. Just to be safe I emailed the Consulate 2 days ago to set up the second appointment anyway even without everything done but I haven't even heard back from them.

So my questions are: Does anyone know how strict this deadline is? Should I email the Consulate again to make an appointment or should I wait until I have everything in order? Does the Consulate usually take awhile to schedule the second appointment?
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NYC Second Appt

Post by Steverino3006 »

I have never heard of such a deadline. If you meet the requirements of citizenship, you must be recognized as a citizen. I can understand a consulate wanting to speed things along and keep order (nobody should need a dozen appointments), but if you don't have your stuff in 90 days, either go and give what you have and tell them the rest is coming, or postpone your appointment.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Stererino,
The 90 day deadline is not in regards to one's ability or right to gain citizenship. Rather, it is a rule that (at least) NYC has regarding second appointments. The rule is just that you have 90 days to fix whatever issues there may be and to schedule the follow up through the consulate, without having to schedule through Abtran. If you do not make the corrects and schedule within 90 days, the consulate will make you start over and schedule through Abtran.

Taralynn,
How strict are they about this, I don't know. They probably would not be too happy though if you scheduled a follow up without having what they said you needed.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I have been tryig to schedule a follow up for a month and a half. No one has gotten back to me. At this point I am put of my 90 days but I did get my letter done and contact them with in the 90 days.
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

Thanks for the replies. I sent two emails before the deadline, so I'll just wait at this point since I don't have everything done right now. I'm assuming that they will respond eventually. Otherwise I don't know what else to do to contact them. Obviously I'm in no rush until I get my last document completed.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

supposedly the NYC consulate is upgrading their computer system. They said because of the upgrade they can't make follow up appointments right now.
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

wow thanks for the info sceamin...that's interesting. how did you find that out? and when WILL they be making appts?
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

No clue and called. Honestly sounds like bull
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

have you heard back from the consulate about your followup appt sceaminmonkey? i still haven't heard anything and it's been almost 2 months since i sent the first email.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Nope and I doubt I ever will . They won't do it on their own
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

Sceaminmonkey-

I finally got a response from the consulate regarding a second appointment. They sent this email:

We acknowledge your request for a follow up appointment and we have being trying to find an opening for you to come in and resubmit your application.
Unfortunately, so far we do not have any availability.
We suggest to send in by mail all the original documentation presented on the day of the interview plus the certificates required with the list of remarks given to you, and we will evaluate your case, on the basis of a first come first serve incoming mail order.
If you feel more comfortable to drop off the original documentation at the reception, you may do so Mon-Fri from 9:00 until 12:30.

My case is really complicated and I was hoping to sit down with them because I know they will have questions. Grrrr!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Thank you so much for your update. I really appreciate you keeping me in mind. When did you first contact them to schedule a second appointment? And what docs are you dropping off?
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

I sent them an email in August...heard nothing. Then sent one in September...heard nothing. And just today sent one saying that I've been trying to get hold of them since August and I received this email in about 3 hours.

I have to drop off ALL documents. I'm going GGF-GF-F-Me. I had to get 5 documents validated by consulates in England and Scotland. I needed to have my father's birth certificate amended (which also needed validation since it is from Massachusetts). I needed Naturalization papers for both my GF and GGF (his being from London). I needed divorce TRANSLATIONS Apostilled as well as the actual documents. And to top it off they also asked me to produce my GF's residence card from Italy just for their own records, so I needed to get that from Italy.

My GGparents were born in Italy but moved to Scotland, where my GF was born. Then they moved to London where they became British subjects. My grandfather married an Englishwoman and then moved to the US, where he became a US citizen (just 6 months before my father was born). He then lived in Italy for 20 years after they were divorced. So it's quite complicated. My first appointment took an hour and a half!
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

Hi ... So, FMI, did they keep any of the documents at your first meeting? I thought they keep what is correct and then ask for others to supplement the file
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

No they didn't keep any because most of my documents (although all Apostilled and with translations) still needed the validations. So the woman told me to just keep everything and bring it back next time.