How to get a live person to help?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

How to get a live person to help?

Post by lisahickey »

I've got a few discrepancies in our paperwork that I've posted about earlier, and need to figure out exactly what to do about. Trying to get courts/offices in the place where the documents were issued to write letters is not working, and someone suggested I try to ask the consulates (we are many people, filing in multiple places). I reached someone in Boston, who told me it's difficult for him to say what to do without seeing the documents. This clearly doesn't help, as I don't want to get everything apostilled and translated, only to have to make changes and start over. I cannot get a live person or an email response from the New York consulate. Does anyone have any advice about how to get help directly from the consulate so that I don't waste tons of time trying to get the wrong thing done, or tons of money getting documents prepped only to have to start again? Or is that unrealistic?
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to get a live person to help?

Post by JJ313 »

I would agree with the individual that you reached in Boston, that it is difficult to say what you would need to fix without seeing the documents. You need to look at the entire body of evidence to get a complete picture. What I would be interested in seeing is how all the other facts (names, dates, addresses, etc.) match from one document to the next. I went back to your OP and noticed that the only discrepancy is the addition of a "p" in the surname. While this could be an issue at some consulates, it appears from your post that it was used consistently on all documents after a certain point. If your GF's MC clearly shows his parent's names correctly (but for the extra letter) and all the other documents likewise agree you should be okay. I would go in with what you have.

If you want to post more details I am sure that everyone here would be glad to help.

One question from your OP you mentioned that you will file in Boston and then NY. Is the NY filing a sibling or child? If it is for a child then in all likelihood they will reference your file in Boston. I am not sure what the procedure is for siblings.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

Thanks - that is helpful. I hope you are right about it being OK, but I've read other people have had trouble with things like De and Di, so I don't want to rely on it if there's a way to find out in advance so I can make changes, get apostilles, etc. Boston and NY are siblings, and then also children, but I know children will be easier once the older generation is done!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I do not agree I do think it will be an issue in the NYC consulate. from what I have read from other forum members and the the members I talk to it seems it will be a problem . I also speak from personal experience of course.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Of course I do hope it will not be an issue!!!
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

With NY any discrepancy could be an issue. Even so, I would go in first and see what they say if everything else is perfect. I would file first in Boston and present that to NY for the children and siblings.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

supposedly the NYC consulate is upgrading their computer systems so they can't schedule follow up appointments.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Can I get the same "upgrade" for my appointment calendar? :lol:

Seems like NY is going all out to make things easier for everyone. :lol: