Farinello and unknown parents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jsalamone

Farinello and unknown parents

Post by jsalamone »

Hello everyone,
I was researching a side of my family that come entirely from Barrafranca. However, I came to a new line from Caltagirone. My GX4Grandfather Salvatore Razza was born about 1821 in Caltagirone. He married Lucia Farinello in Barrafranca. The marriage act says Salvatore was raied in Barrafranca (though he and his living parents were born in Caltagirone). Salvatore was 23 at the time of his marriage to Lucia. Lucia Farinello was 19 but that is all that is listed of here. Her birthplace and the place in which she was raised are not filled in, I don't know if to avoid redundancy of her also being from Caltagirone or Barrafranca or out of ignorance. Though I find it hard to believe she does not know where she was raised. Ignata Parenta is listed under her parents and everything else is blank. Basically, I'm curious if anyone else has managed to discover the parents of a relative who was ever listed as having unknown parents. It's harder considering I am not sure if she was from Barrafranca or Caltagirone. But she does have a last name, she's not just Lucia but Lucia Farinello. I checked the rest of the record for witnesses, etc. who perhaps raised her or was connected to her family but I did not see a single other Farinello. I will try and scan a copy and get it on here. Otherwise I will look for more on her, and any help about anything at all, or any advice, is greatly welcomed!
Thank You!
JS
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Farinello and unknown parents

Post by Italysearcher »

People with unknown parents in those days were usually abandoned anonymously. You can get the birth record but it probably won't help. Even if a midwife declared the birth, the names of the prents are never recorded without consent. It may be that everyone in town knew who the parents were but at this stage you will never find out. Her name was probably given to her by the Mayor, certainly the surname although sometimes the mother left a note or some indication of a first name (like the photo of a Saint in her hand).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jsalamone

Post by jsalamone »

Thank you a lot. That really is a sad thought, especially the idea of everyone knowing who the parents are and have to live in that town. Lucia probably felt like there was something wrong with herself that they could not want her. But even if we can't know who her parents are it makes her no less of a person. I hope she was able to find love in Mario and was able to be happy, instead of bitter, though she certainly would have had the right to be. I will check further records, namely birth, death and other Farinello's in Barrafranca and Caltagirone because you never know but wow what an incredible story of becoming a person.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

http://municipio.comune.barrafranca.en. ... idpage=107 Photos of the town.
I have done research where the child with an invented name actually lived with her natural mother after a certain period but the mother never officially 'recognised' her child and she went through life with her invented name.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jsalamone

Post by jsalamone »

Wow thank you for the insight, as well as the photos.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If you look online surname search the name Parenta doesnt really come up as a surname but Parente or Parenti do. Can you post the record so we can see it out of curiosity
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty