Could Salvatore and Sammy be the same person?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mary M

Could Salvatore and Sammy be the same person?

Post by Mary M »

My dad had a brother that died when they were children. He called that brother Sammy. My dad was born in Italy. Sammy was born and died here in the US.
In my research, I haven't been able to find any info on Sammy. However, I found out that my dad had a younger brother named Salvatore that I never met or heard about, so I'm assuming that Salvatore may have died as a child also.
I always thought Sammy's name was Samuel, but that's not very Italian. Could Salvatore be his brother Sammy?
:roll:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Could Salvatore and Sammy be the same person?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well...

There was years ago a mobster named Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Gravano) lending some credence to the idea that Sammy might be a nickname for Salvatore.

Here's a random obituary I just found with Google: http://www.aliferemembered.com/Obituari ... x?oid=1516 - yet another Salvatore / "Sammy".

I had an uncle named Salvatore; we just called him Uncle Sal. :)

PS: Googling "salvatore sammy" turns up lots more examples in obituaries, grave markers, etc.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mary M

Post by Mary M »

Thank you, Carmine. That answers some questions. I've been used to Sal also, which is why "Sammy' threw me off.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

YES! My Uncle Sammy, his name was Salvatore.