Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I am reposting this with, I hope, a clearer image at the link below.
Can anyone figure what the occupations are of the witnesses in the document pasted below? I just cannot make it out, but it is the same for both.
Also what is the last sentence of the document? I have it as: "Lette al presente agli intervenuti si persone meco--------- non il dichiarante che ---------?" I KNOW this is probably a very bad guess.
The document is from the Basilicata area. Thank you.
I'm not 100%, but one of the occupations I'm aware of is fante, meaning servant or foot soldier. That's not EXACTLY what it looks like (more like funte or fusle) but it's close.
As for the last few lines, this is the best I could do:
Lettoil presente atto agli intervenuti...I think it may then say "si firmare" as firmare means to sign, the next word may be "meco", but I'm not sure, then "i --- testimonii? meco? il dichiarante stato? analfabeti (meaning illiterate)"
---
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti si firmare meco i --- testimoni meco il dichiarante stato analfabeti.
This would translate to something along the lines of:
Read the present act to the intervened individuals. It was signed by me and the witnesses, the presenter (presumably the father) was illiterate.
My best suggestion for interpreting the words that are harder to read is to look at other parts of the record where you know what the words are and try to compare the handwriting and match the letters. Hope this helped!
Its very hard to look at a piece of document and try to translate it because of the way different civil official write there handwriting is so much different. By comparing other words in the record you can see the similar letters in the document.Thats why its nice when the whole record is uploaded
The end of records usually say the presentation and declaration of aforesaid was made in the pressence of the witnesses .
The italian law required officating agent the witnesses and the father of the child to sign the record unless they couldnt write than they would note that fact by saying they were illiterate
Very few works have been published in English on the topics of Italian heraldry, nobility and onomatology as these relate to genealogy. Yet all three fields depend upon genealogical research. This concise presentation is not intended as a historical treatise, but rather as a simple guide for those i...